Agnostic.com

10 3

Logic puzzle

Paul is looking at Mary.
Mary is looking at Peter.
Paul is married.
Peter is unmarried.

Is a married person looking at an unmarried person?

(Read post for the scenario) Is a married person looking at an unmarried person?

• 30 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 32 votes
Kbdank71 7 Apr 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There is a possibility of Mary’s being lesbian and married πŸ’€

The question needs logic but I agree with @lerlo cookie clicker

Mary would be X in the equation since we don't know if Mary is married or not.

Singing legends aside, the real truth is that we all look at each other and wonder about many intimate things. Whether Peter was ballin' Mary is beside the point.

If it’s THE Peter Paul and Mary I can find evidence that Peter was married, but Mary wasn’t. But there is also no evidence that scenario is specifically them. So in conclusion, not enough information for a firm decision 😊

Yes, because Mary is either married or unmarried. If Mary is married, the married Mary is looking at unmarried Peter. And if Mary is unmarried, then married Paul is looking at unmarried Mary.

It's a brain twister that shouldn't be contemplated while puffing on a magic dragon, in a land called Hanalei. πŸ™‚ (Peter, Paul and Mary, Puff the Magic Dragon)

Lucky me, I get to perform weddings with Puff encircling Hanalei Bay. In my scenarios, there is always an unmarried person looking at married person right there in between the vows, where one has said it, and the other is about to. Then in the next second they're both married, looking at me, unmarried!

@Julie808 yes, it’s sad that so many people lose their playfulness and creativity when they grow up, the real meaning of the song about Puff πŸ˜‰ obviously you’ve not lost yours 😊

Yes, because Mary is either married or unmarried. If Mary is married, the married Mary is looking at unmarried Peter. And if Mary is unmarried, then married Paul is looking at unmarried Mary.

You convinced me to update my vote from "not enough info" to yes. Thanks for that logic.

@Julie808 " If I can help someone. "

Is Mary married?

I clicked on this post expecting it to be about infidelity or other non-monogamy: married but looking.

😁

Yes

Tejas Level 8 Apr 28, 2021

how did you decide that mary was married?

@bbyrd009 i didn't really, I read it wrong originally. Now I'm too stubborn to change my vote, and holding on to "yes somewhere" as my answer.

@bbyrd009 Yes, because Mary is either married or unmarried. If Mary is married, the married Mary is looking at unmarried Peter. And if Mary is unmarried, then married Paul is looking at unmarried Mary.

Assuming that the only choices for Peter, Paul and Mary are married and unmarried the answer is yes. Aren't they supposed to break out in song since I got it right? πŸ™‚ Because the wind blew the answer right to me πŸ™‚
p.s. happy to explain the logic but I don't want to give it away.

Update: guessing the people who say not enough information want you to give them the answer in the question πŸ˜‚πŸ˜

lerlo Level 8 Apr 28, 2021
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:592774
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.