9 5

Would you like a different perspective?

As a general rule Buddhists and other vedics do not proselytize. This is because everyone's path is their own to find and trek. But even with that metaphor it's important to see all the options available to you. I spent decades emerging from the damage done to me by the Southern Baptist mire ... and it was this sweet little man who helped me. He showed me that I can find peace while respecting ALL other beliefs and even non-beliefs. This presentation to visitors yesterday covered his views about respecting all views in a secular frame. If you have some spare time I'd highly recommend watching it.
[facebook.com]

By kauva
Options Favorite Like

9 comments

i can't watch it because my laptop won't let me watch videos, but based on what i have read in this post, this is pretty much how i look at things. while i do understand that most religions i can think of at some point promoted things i find repulsive, rape, genocide, killing babies, things like that, i think the first goal of most religion was to make those who followed it feel safer and to help them explain what at the time was unexplainable. i have no problem with that, i just think a lot of things got taken too far. i know that there are people out there hurting others in the name of their god/s, but i also know that not all religious folks are like that. so no, while i don't respect ALL other beliefs, i don't think that just because someone thinks differently than me that it makes them bad.

Byrd Level 7 Apr 17, 2018

I always do

LeighShelton Level 8 Apr 17, 2018

While we might want to get all warm and fuzzy over this and wax poetic over the many virtues of the Dalai Lama, let us not forget that Buddhism IS a religion like any other and just as capable of extremist violence. Witness what has been happening to the Rohingya in Myanmar: they are being slaughtered to the point of genocide by Buddhists (often monks) , who attack them b/c of their Islamic beliefs.

BookDeath Level 8 Apr 16, 2018

oh certainly. I have a more internet-based sangha now and the close-mindedness towards eastern beliefs that I often feel in Oklahoma is matched only by the same close-mindedness I have found from Buddhist arahats in Sri Lanks, Thailand, Malaysia, India, and Viet Nam. So closed that they havent evolved their views on certain things, such as science, over the past 100 years. It's like speaking to someone from the past. And they are very persistent and stubborn in retaining their versions of the universe despite the most basic of current scientific knowledge. But those are not representative of either Buddhism generally or the dalai specifically.

I shall take a look...

SpikeTalon Level 8 Apr 16, 2018

Thank you for posting this.

LuckySeven Level 4 Apr 16, 2018

I think it's worthwhile to view many different perspectives. there are all sorts of wonderful folks out there in the world. presuming anything about anyone is most probably a bad idea.

Tom08030 Level 4 Apr 16, 2018

We can argue and possibly offend them, but in the end, we should respect their RIGHT to hold false beliefs. No reason to respect bad ideas.

thislife Level 7 Apr 16, 2018

yeah, essentially. I have a bit of skewed view here because I already possess the objectivity of seeing the beliefs as just a black box labeled "means" instead of being blinded within them. Gaining that distance and subsequent objectivity is crucial because it allows one to draw the distinction.

Anyway, I always have had a soft spot in my heart for the Dalai Lama.

Neither do jews.

jperlow Level 7 Apr 16, 2018

We should respect a person(and his property), we should not respect a person's false beliefs. If a person is racist should we respect their views? I think (intentionally) offending them by arguing for reason is the only humane action.

Renickulous Level 7 Apr 16, 2018

i think even in the case of racism, there is still an amount of respect i can have for a person.
hear me out. while i do think things like segregation and such are not worthy of respect, i think a person has every right not to like a person based on whatever silly thing they want. one example i can think of is this, i find the accent and generally the voice of most jewish people ive met to be unpleasant. i would even go as far as to say that many shows with a person who speaks with this voice, i don't care to watch. but i don't dislike jewish folks for it. if i owned a store i wouldnt try to say we don't serve you here. i would have no problem letting my kids play with their kids, and when im in their presence i don't want to get away. i just find it a bit annoying. im sure there are things about me that bothers someone. im not even sure if that falls under the racism umbrella, but since it is a dislike based in a way on a persons race, i think it loosely fits. as far as some jerk wad KKK members tho, the things they do in response to their dislike of certain groups is just aweful, so no, i don't respect that.

@Byrd one is a preference one is epistemic beliefs . You can't control preferences but i see it as an obligation to future humans to try and fix illogical thoughts. How much respect should you give a racist? Not object to their obviously flawed views? Or tell them they are dumb till they either keep it to themselves or change their mind. Let me know if I'm off base with this argument

Edited

@Renickulous i was curious as to weather there was a distinction between the two. i just think with a lot of things, there is a difference between having an opinion and how you act upon that opinion. i think, no matter how different your beliefs are from mine, as long as it doesnt lead to some sort of inequality or injustice, thats your right to think that way. i personally am against the idea that a person is less than me based on things like color. i do think a person who hurts or discriminates against a person due to that sort of thing is worth less, because they are allowing their beliefs to cause harm, thats the part im not cool with. as far as what you have asked about if you are off base, i don't think you should hold off on objecting their point of view, as long as you do it respectfully. i can and have objected to many things, just on this site alone, but i try to maintain my position that while i don't agree with you, i respect your right to see things differently than me. and while yes i do feel that things like segregation should be stopped, even by meeting violence with violence in some cases, i don't think that means just because you don't like a group based on something so silly, you are inherently bad. i just think your exactly that, silly. it all depends on how you respond to your feelings IMO i guess. as far as telling someone they are dumb, again i think if they are going as far as to harm someone due to their beliefs, then yes, they are dumb, but just believing something different than me, no, i wouldnt ask them to keep it to themselves, just as i wouldnt give much thought to someone who told me to be quiet because they don't agree with me. i may not stick around for the conversation, but i don't feel i have any more right to shut them up than they do me.

Write Comment
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Agnostic.comis the largest non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others happy without religion!