Agnostic.com

1 0

LINK Hair: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO) - YouTube

I used to work at a company where I overheard two white women talking about dreds. One was saying to the other, "Well, they can't wash it because that would wash out the mud." The other replied, "Why do they put mud in their hair?" and the response was, "I don't know, but that's how Tarzan did it in the Disney movie." I pointed out to them that there are actual hair products that black people use and that they do not put mud in their hair and they acted surprised. As if it never occurred to them that black people might have hair care products.

It struck me as odd and insulting that these two women thought that women with dreds were walking around with mud in their hair. As if black people weren't bright enough to come up with something besides mud to put in their hair and that their source was a Disney cartoon. But it demonstrated just how little thought was given to the lives of black people by some. They would rather pass on ridiculously insulting BS about black people than simply "google it".

Thanks to the black woman who wrote this for John Oliver.

redbai 8 May 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Black Hair Matters?

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:595587
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.