Agnostic.com

11 4

Gregory Maguire anyone?

Finally started reading a book, although not the one I'd planned to be next. I have so many unread books on my shelves, I suppose choosing randomly would work just fine.

Currently reading Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire, the author of Wicked.

Didn't read Wicked, but I did get to see it on Broadway. Love this genre! Anyone else read his works?

bettyboop_1967 5 Apr 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

He’s one of my favorite authors. Wicked is by far one of my favorite books. I’ve read the full series a couple times, but Wicked is definitely the best. The Lion one least of the set, but still good. I’ve read some of his other books and liked them. Just tried the Alice one and couldn’t get into it, but will try again. Dying to see Wicked on stage!

I read Wicked. It's enjoyable.

JimG Level 8 Apr 17, 2018

Great book. I actualy think that "Confessions of an Ugly Step Sister" is his best book. Althoguh ihve not checked to see if he has doenanyting new for he last few years. I love how he set the book in the Durch netherlands during the Tulip Bubble, and he made the Cinderella story seem like it could have actually hapened by taking out most of, if not all of, the magic stuff and attributign it all to exaggerations in the word of mouth retellng.

I think virtually anyone on this site woudl love this book, which is probably his closest to real life book.

I've read his books and enjoyed them, witht he exception of "Lost." I was so disappointed because I'm a huge Dickens fan and love to see his works honored. The story line was flat and there was so much more he could have done with it. Otherwise, I really did like the escapism offered by his tales.

If you saw Wicked on Broadway, read the books! Actually, I would recommend reading the books (Wicked, Son Of A Witch, Lion Among Men, Out Of Oz), or at least Wicked, first, THEN see the show. There are numerous props and decorations on and around the stage that only make sense to those who have read the book that the show spun off of, first. It makes for a richer, more well-rounded experience.

I haven't read Confessions, but I have read Mirror, Mirror. I have to really be in the mood for his style of writing, but when I am, I love it.

I definitely plan on reading the Wicked series. I usually like to read the book first before seeing a movie or play, but it was New York and I'd never been to a Broadway show. Glad Wicked was my first. Hope it isn't the last.

@bettyboop_1967 It was the music from the show that got me interested in the books. I read the books, then later saw the show, locally, in Dallas. I can only imagine seeing it on Broadway. What a great experience that must have been!

I read Wicked and loved it.

Confessions is my favorite book of his. Wicked the book isn’t as fun and light-hearted as the musical, but still a pretty good read. His take on Snow White (I can’t remember the name at the moment) was just confusing to me. I’m not sure if I didn’t pay enough attention when I read it or that it’s supposed to be that loopy, but definitely not up there for me.
Hope you enjoy Confessions!

The wicked series always does a good job of making me sad. Especially the first one..Love it though.

Doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy, and its Kindle price is high, but when I get to the US I can order a Kindle Fire and get all the ebooks I want for free, since I'm a Prime member of Amazon.

However I DO love the C.S. Lewis book, Till We Have Faces, which retells the story of Cupid and Psyche from the viewpoint of the ugly older sister who was the one who persuaded her to look at Cupid while he slept.

It's a fascinating tale, told by the homely but highly intelligent, talented sister people ridiculed for her looks, and how she gradually becomes a trusted counselor, then a sword fighter, coached by one of the royal guards, then becomes queen when her father dies-always wearing a veil to hide her face.

Since I read it in the 1970s, it has been my favorite C.S. Lewis book, and I bought the Kindle version

[amazon.com]

Sadly you can’t get ALL the books you want for free, but a lot. Not all are available for Kindle Unlimited.

I read Wicked, rather liked getting the background story.

No, I haven't read anything by him, but it looks really interesting. I also saw the musical, with my daughter, and it was fantastic! I also need to make more time to read some good books. Maybe this one!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:59642
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.