Agnostic.com

9 29

Writing thank you cards for scholarships.

"Sending handwritten thank-you cards is a thoughtful gesture," I told Dennise. "People appreciate it." It's hard to get young people to write thank-you cards.

Today Dennise and I completed thank-you cards for twelve scholarships she won. I addressed envelopes while Dennis wrote in the cards. Mission accomplished.

So far, Dennise has won $51,400 in scholarships. Four are renewable through four years. More to come. Next week, she has an interview for a scholarship from a local Rotary Club. With my help, Dennise applied for 43 scholarships and four universities.

Dennise was accepted by the prestigious University of Washington. Starting in September, the UW is requiring all students to be fully vaccinated. Excellent.

She will major in applied math and minor in music (viola and percussion instruments).

Dennise will be the first person in her family to graduate from high school and go to college. Her Spanish-speaking parents are immigrants. "I hope to help my parents buy their first house," Dennise wrote in her goals.

"I couldn't have done it without you," Dennise said today.

LiterateHiker 9 May 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Congrats!

WTG, girl...Congratulations!

Be sure to pass onto Dennise what I tell everyone:
"Math is your friend"

@CarlosG903

As a volunteer, Dennise has been tutoring a class of 20 Algebra 1 students twice a week during this school year.

She teaches students to solve math problems from different directions.

Dennise is teaching them problem-solving skills and to not give up. They are learning to take responsibility for themselves instead of playing victim. These are important life skills.

Awesome.

Great idea on the handwritten cards. I should do more of it.

Congratulations to her and to you for inspiring her! She is an inspiration to her family too.

She is obviously a class act.

Congratulations to her, and "well done" to you!

Thank you from my heart. Everyone should be working to educate those who want to go to school. I want to keep track of her future as I am a Math fanatic, I would like to know how she does.

You did well by her excellent job

bobwjr Level 10 May 15, 2021
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:596790
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.