Agnostic.com

31 2

Do you give money to the homeless who hold signs in Traffic?

When i was a broke and struggling college student. I remember pulling up to a red light on the side of an expressway and i saw a man was holding a sign which said " Homeless, will take money or food". This man and i make eye contact and there was something about what i felt when i make eye contact with him compelled me to give him some money. Please understand i only had 20 bucks with an empty gas tank. I let down my window and i said " sir, here is half of all i have". I gave him a 10 bill and i said "please get some food and no drugs or alcohol"! He thanked me and i proceeded through the light to a gas station at the next block. I entered the store, paid 9 bucks for gas and 1 dollar for a soda, and as i approached my car there was the same homeless guy and a woman standing at my car. The homeless guy says " Son, My name is William and this is my wife Janice". "I should tell you that i am not homeless"." I sometimes put myself in different scenario's in order to identify people in society who i find exceptional". He basically told me how impressed he was with my generosity and he said that when we made eye contact, it was like our souls connected and he could see something special inside me. After speaking with William and his wife for about 30 minutes, he hands me a envelope and says " open this as soon as you get home". We parted ways and when i got home, i opened the letter and there was 500 bucks inside.

I use most of that money to pay for a 300 dollar book for my Molecular Biology Class which i couldn't afford at the time.

This random act of kindness put me on a path to questioning Christianity. I had started to realize the human connection we have and how we can effect each others lives.

• 20 votes
  • 24 votes
twshield 8 Nov 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments (26 - 31)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What an amazing story! I have to admit it sounded too good to be true but a little research didn't pull anything up. An unusual technique to identify exceptional people, if not a little creepy but hey it's his money, unless it was the money also from begging (over days or weeks I presume). And what a 'godsend' for you during a tight time. It does give one hope for humanity.

Im couscous about that. I've met homeless people in different groups I attend. They got some good stories. Some of them are punishing themself for situation that went wrong. Some were still using. Yes I give but not that much. Am I guilty of being a bad person, I don't think so. We have so much work over here were I live. Just about anybody can get a job. You can even have a record. They'll hire you.

You are pasta (couscous) about it?

😉

I do not drive around often, but I do recall once when I was in Houston, I saw a guy holding up a sign that said, "Why lie ? I want beer." I gave him 20 bucks. Other than that, I usually ask people if they would like me to buy them something to eat. I tried just buying an extra sandwich and soda once at Walmart for a guy who was panhandling. When I went to give it to him, he told me he did not like that kind of sandwich, and the soda was not his flavor.

On another note, I have found that there are homeless people that do not want to be homeless. These people will do whatever it takes to get back on their feet. I ran a homeless shelter in Kansas City, MO for about a year for NLEC, and you could tell which ones wanted to get on their feet, and which were career homeless.

For those who wanted to get back on their feet, I helped them with bus fare to get to and from job interviews, I helped them get presentable clothes, I helped them to get to and from AA, NA and Celebrate Recovery meetings. Tought them how to utilize computers to look for employment, and when they got employment, helped them find a more permanent place to live.

When I see a homeless person in a city I will often buy them a meal and give it to them,I rather not give money because i do not know how it will be used.I do go to the VETS home and bring items that I know they will use jackets sweaters etc. I am happy that I never had to be a homeless person and I know some of these people became that way serving our country

Always.
Without question.

There was a United Way fundraiser and talk recently in Seattle. The speaker asked the group who gave to panhandlers and about 1/2 raised their hands. They were told they are contributing to this problem. The city has enough programs to help the homeless get on their feet. A large number have addiction or mental programs and people giving them money keeps them from getting real help. A recent report on NPR told of a minister being fined for giving food to a homeless person?! Sounds cruel but when I heard the story it made sense. I feel guilt and cognitive dissonance derail efforts to offer permanent solutions. A well known and apt saying: Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5969
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.