Agnostic.com

2 9

So very, very sad.
Yesterday morning, sometime between 8.20 and 9.55 am Broken Hill lost its Public Bus Traveling Icon, "Young Jack."
For more years than I've been catching the local buses, Young Jack has been doing his regular bus trips every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
He has boarded the bus at the same bus stop every time, 8.20 am, found his seat, local unwritten rule here, Always keep a window seat free for Young Jack, settled in and rides the buses all over town, only getting off to either change routes, get some lunch or answer the call of nature.
i don't normal got out on Mondays, but yesterday I decided to treat myself to a new Doona and quilt as well plus a new set of sheets.
I got on the bus, and there was Young Jack, already in his seat, said Good morning to him and he returned the greetings as well accompanied by his usual broad and friendly smile.
At about 8.45 am, the bus dropped me off at the Shopping Centre, I went and got what I wanted and returned to the Bus Stop to await the next bus.
9.15 am, same bus, same Driver, same Young Jack in the same seat, we then traveled the route through South Broken Hill, on into to Railwaytown when the Driver asked Jack a question and, unusually, received no reply.
He asked the question once again, got no reply again so, asked me to check and see if Jack had fallen asleep maybe.
Not getting any response from Jack, I reached across the aisle and felt his left arm for a pulse, NONE, then checked his neck for the Carotid Pulse, still NONE.
WE pulled the bus over to the side of the street, and waited until the Ambulance, the Police and the Manager of the Bus Company arrived.
Sadly, according to the Paramedic, Young Jack, according to his Pension Card in his wallet, had passed away 3 days short of what would have been his 93rd. Birthday.
Sleep well, sleep long Young Jack, you will be missed BUT you will be remembered most fondly by us all.

Triphid 9 May 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When i stopped driving for awhile after the stroke at age 39, I rode the buses frequently & there is indeed an amazing camaraderie. RIP Young Jack!

Sad, but quiet by the sounds of it.

I'm kind of guessing that Young Jack went off very quietly as well as was enjoying his last bus ride as well.

@Triphid Yes, I tend to agree.

@Lilac-JadeCanada Young Jack always told everybody that he was " X number of years YOUNG," never his actual age though.
Just heard via phone from the Bus Company Manager that they are organising a Bus to take any passengers who knew Jack to and from his funeral and instead of a Hearse, they plan to convey his body and casket in a Mini-bus as a fitting show of respect for him as a beloved passenger.
Of course, considering that Jack died sort of unexpectedly and NOT in Hospital care, there will be an Autopsy needed so his funeral may not be until late next week now.

@Triphid That sounds a lot more fitting than the usual arrangements.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:597246
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.