Agnostic.com

7 5

Throughout history, people have always understood how important having a ‘Third Place’ in your life is, even though it may have gone by a different name. Pub, coffee house, community center, library, lounge, salon, barber shop, church, cafe, club...no matter what you call it, finding your ‘Third Place’ is vital to leading a happy and fulfilling life.

The ‘First Place’ is your home, the center of your domestic life. The ‘Second Place’ is your work, the center of your professional life. And the ‘Third Place’ is neither home nor work, but a relaxing place you enjoy going to where you cultivate essential social experiences in the company of like-minded people. In other words, a place to meet up with friends and do something together that you love to do. It’s your hang-out spot. Your clubhouse. Your home away from home. And everybody needs one.

Since I'm retired now, I no longer have a workplace, so my new second place is any country-western restaurant or bar with a dance floor. That's my happy place. Wherever I go, I'm guaranteed to run into someone from the dance community who shares my passion for country-western dancing.

Interesting article: What's your "third place"?

Finding Your ‘Third Place’
[ce.d214.org]

TheoryNumber3 8 May 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Can one have more then a 2nd third place? Most places I have lived there was home, and work (retired so no more 2nd place). I think sometimes ones' 2nd (third) place chooses you. Seems I spend a lot of free time at the neighboring labyrinth (which now had 4 goats).

My third place(s) for a long time were anywhere with a live country band and people to dance with. The pandemic took that away from me.

My 3rd place are the mountains of Colorado. Whether it's hiking, camping, skiing etc. It's my one place to find peace, solace, and happiness.

That be a grand place yes. I’ll be there, come August.

My second and third places are the same, the bars I play in, and usually one in particular at any given time.

I have no second or third place. Never did really have a third place. My home is my castle and I feel no need to seek other places or crowds of people.

You are most certainly entitled to your choices...and your contentment.

I used to love to two step. Now I do coffee in town with a vaccinated group or socialize with vaccinated friends at home or in their homes.

I too no longer work but have enough work at home to keep three people busy.

Sadly in the UK for the last eighteen months we have been forced to stay put in our first, and if we are lucky second places, that's it. But I do have a garden, and a bicycle so the country roads are there for me. Just no social third places allowed.

I know how you feel...and you have my sympathy.

I believe it doesn't have to be location-based. If you find solace and fulfillment in your own garden then that can be a wonderful third place.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:597595
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.