Agnostic.com

4 8

The 12 Stages of a Book Hangover

All my life, I have experienced rapture while reading a great book. It's disorienting to finish the last page. To prolong my rapture, I reread the ending, savoring it. Then I flip back to passages that moved me, reading more slowly.

Sometimes I dive into another wonderful book by the same author.

Nora Ephron describes it well:

"There's something called the rapture of the deep, and it refers to what happens when a deep-sea diver spends too much time at the bottom of the ocean and can't tell which way is up. When he surfaces, he's liable to have a condition called the bends, where the body can't adapt to the oxygen level in the atmosphere. All this happens when I surface from a great book."

"The 12 Stages of a Book Hangover" by Faith Ann is hilarious:

[medium.com]

LiterateHiker 9 May 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

All the really good books I ever read, always repaid me with a second read, so no. Though I do tend to read too fast the first time perhaps, ( find out where it goes,) so I need a slower second read to take it in.

I have gotten so engrossed in a book that I can hardly do anything else but read it

That happens to me nearly every time. I started checking out collections of short stories instead. Each delicious short story only encouraged me on to the next. Win-win.

I love to read also and yes there's nothing better than a good story, now on the other hand it's nitrogen bubbles that form in the bloodstream because the diver did not have/take enough time to decompress. 😉

@oldFloyd

It's like a man to focus on the technical, ignoring women's feelings.

At least you wrote: "Yes, there's nothing better than a good story."

I don't think I've ever had a book hangover, at least not as has been described. I do know the acute sense of loss when a really good book ends. And yes, I stay up way past my bedtime way too often to read a good book. And sometimes I do that with a book that is just OK. One of the last books I did a marathon read on was Patrick Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicles. Not my usual reading material, it was recommended by one of my kids. I read the first two right through. And then I found out the third and final has not been written yet!! I was horrified, and horribly angry. It has been 10 years since book two came out. Recently he had some fun with the waiting fans [winteriscoming.net]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:598317
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.