Agnostic.com

4 4

LINK Expert prognosis for the planet - we're on track for a ghastly future | EurekAlert! Science News

Damn, this is depressing.

Professor Paul Ehrlich of Stanford University says that no political or economic system, or leadership, is prepared to handle the predicted disasters, or even capable of such action.

"Stopping biodiversity loss is nowhere close to the top of any country's priorities, trailing far behind other concerns such as employment, healthcare, economic growth, or currency stability.

"While it is positive news that President-elect Biden intends to reengage the US in Paris Climate accord within his first 100 days of office, it is a minuscule gesture given the scale of the challenge.

"Humanity is running an ecological Ponzi scheme in which society robs nature and future generations to pay for short-term economic enhancement today".

"Most economies operate on the basis that counteraction now is too costly to be politically palatable. Combined with disinformation campaigns to protect short-term profits it is doubtful that the scale of changes we need will be made in time" Professor Ehrlich says.

altschmerz 9 May 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We have to do everything stupid first then work our asses off to try to get by. I have to think that the next species that takes over will get past this, I have no idea which species, but they will not need to use money as a way to track success.

@altschmerz Depends on how one keeps track and what they feel is important.

Im thinking it will still be humans, after a little mass extinction maybe, and the 100k or whatever humans left will just start over? We’ve already had a couple bottlenecks, i think

Buckle up, we are in for a rough ride in the next ten years.
Anything done now is too little too late

Captain Keene : What do you intend to do, sir?

Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond : Do? Do? We're British. We won't do anything...

Major Shorthouse : ...until it's too late.

Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond : Exactly. That's the first sensible thing you've said all day.

Major Shorthouse: Oh Fffff-fudge

Carry On Up the Khyber (1968)

He is not the only one predicting this. The devastation to the world economy and the loss of life is very likely to be on a scale we have never seen before.

Nearly all species go extinct. We all die. Humans are special only to themselves.

We do not value truth nor sanity. Our weaknesses consistently overpower our talents. At this pinnacle. we still won't commit to either stopping corruption nor to ensuring those with power are the best of us. Tell me with a straight face we deserve to survive?

I now see first hand how growing old is as ugly as it gets.

@altschmerz To be here now with the incomplete comprehension of the universe, I am glad to have existed. No other animal can see the universe as we can. Seeing Hubble and similar images fills the mind to overflowing. I love seeing the coordination of symphony musicians. The equations, matrices and wave functions show a clarity and devotion as elegant as any ocean lapped beach. We have been fortunate beyond wonder, a golden moment of contemplative calm between the storms. Ah, entropy...

@altschmerz The human race can survive, even thrive on a smaller scale, but we have to be willing to accept major changes, in attitude, habit and behaviour. we have to be prepared to do the work.
Many may not be willing to do that and they will die, and may take the rest of us with them.
The more unpleasant unavoidable fact is that sacrifices will be required "our way of life" will have to change. How it changes will depend on how willing and how far people are prepared to bend, because if they will not do it willingly, there will be those who will attempt to force that change upon us along with a return to hellish feudalism.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:598756
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.