Agnostic.com

7 12

Trump's stranglehold on the GOP is a death trap for American democracy

By Michael Steele, MSNBC Opinion Columnist

Addressing a reunion of Civil War soldiers in 1875, President Ulysses S. Grant predicted that the dividing line in the nation’s next great conflict “will not be Mason’s or Dixon’s, but between patriotism and intelligence on one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other.”

A century and a half later, a once proud Republican Party is convulsing with conspiracy theories and lies about the 2020 election while desperately trying to recast the insurrection of Jan. 6 as nothing more than a tourist event.

• Returning to the Civil War, President Abraham Lincoln could have been describing the work that lies ahead for Rep. Liz Cheney and other Republicans fighting for the soul of Republicanism when he said, “We will make converts day by day; we will grow strong by the violence and injustice of our adversaries. And, unless truth be a mockery and justice a hollow lie, we will be in the majority after a while.”

If history is any indication, this will not end well.

From the day Trump descended that escalator to declare his presidential ambitions, many Republicans have been engaged in a grotesque and perverted dance with the devil. From the likes of Sens. Lindsey Graham and Ted Cruz to Josh Hawley and now the tag team of disgraced Reps. Matt Gaetz and Marjorie Taylor Greene, my party has descended further into madness. And as the events of Jan. 6 remind us, such madness never leads to anything good.

This is not the party of the working class — they voted for Biden — but it is more and more becoming the party of angry white nationalist and faux patriots.

Defeating ambition and ignorance with patriotism and intelligence will require us to follow Lincoln’s advice to engage one another and our nation around core principles for a successful American democracy like pluralism and civic responsibility; or the rule of law and Constitutional order, so as to make converts to truth and justice day by day, neighbor by neighbor, conversation by conversation. Yeah, we have some work to do; otherwise, this does not end well — for any of us.

[msnbc.com]

LiterateHiker 9 May 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I hear all the time on US TV about Trump and the Republican party and how bad they are. Sure. But the real point is: a majority of Americans voted for Trump in 2016; 75 million voted for him in 2020. He would have won in 2020, had it not been for COVID. Probably that many will vote for him, or a Trump clone, in 2024. Why do you think the Republican party persists with corruption and authoritarianism? Because they know Americans will vote for them -- not just marginalised whites, but rich whites, and people of colour, just like before. The disease that America has isn't the Republican party-- that's just a sick appendage. The disease is in the people, and I don't know what can be done about that. I do know that this American disease is spreading globally.

It is a good article to read, showing the sad state of most of today's republicans.

Will we have a really good candidate in 2024 or should I just lose hope?

If wishes were horses, we would be knee deep in sh.... Too late...

It’s high time we did some learning from history, both the civil war and Nazi Germany.

I think we should be prepared to lose and dive into 45's diseased pathology. We should promote voting, of course, and try to stop the 45 disease through that manner, but it's looking darker by the weak (pun intended).

Trump will be 78 years old in 2024.
Hopefully too old for the GOP nomination.

BD66 Level 8 May 25, 2021

Going to take a huge amount of work to undo the damage

bobwjr Level 10 May 25, 2021

Which may take up to a decade or better to fix.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:598943
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.