Agnostic.com

2 1

LINK Wildlife officials quarantine new herds in fight against CWD

Consuming wild game puts humans at risk. We have our own "bush meat" issue. It is not just an Africa to Asia's dinner table.

Mooolah 8 May 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Bush meat. Not inspected by the agriculture dept. Cadavers are not on my menu.

Chronic Wasting Disease. I didn't know there was a danger in consuming venison by humans.

I have known this for 4+ decades! It's a Thing!

@AnneWimsey There's no evidence that humans can get CWD from infected deer meat. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't eat it. Where I used to go hunting there's no CWD. Quakertown and the Poconos. We only are allowed to use shotguns. Central and Western PA if you wanna legally use a rifle but that part of the state loaded with CWD. NJ is good, but the cops don't let you transport guns from PA. I haven't hunted in years.

@barjoe my ex was an avid hunter, I have eaten deer meat 3-4-5 times a week for 33+ years, (I am a excellent self-taught game cook).
We most certainly always paid attention to any CWD warnings, but they were always far out West, not anywhere near here.
I understand in later stages even the untrained eye can see the changes in brain tissue, ugh!
Shotgun to kill a deer? How cruel! And it would ruin a lot of the meat!!! Really? OmG!

@AnneWimsey Sometimes it's early stage and not that evident. Yes. Remington 870 pump action 20 gauge is what I have. 12 gauge has too much recoil. We use slugs not buckshot.

@barjoe oh, yes, it would be bad to ingest that "bug" at any stage!
Question: With rifles i know the desirable, humane shot is a heart shot....no idea what a "good" shot would be with even a slug in a shotgun (still getting over that info!)

@AnneWimsey I try to hit white tail deer broadside. The slug ideally passes through the lungs. In Luzerne, Wayne, Lackawanna and Lehigh counties where I drove from Philly, there was no choice. It was shotgun only.

@barjoe one time in the morning, coming back from the Erie Region we counted over 20 deer dead alongside the turnpike, that we could see....you guys were overrun & the herds were severly under-managed, iMO an ideal scenario to further spread of diseases.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:599483
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.