Agnostic.com

5 15

Today's hike: A wonderful surprise.

To escape triple-digit heat, today Karen and I hiked to Lake Clara and Marion, 5,475 feet elevation. We hiked 4.2 miles with over 1,200 feet of elevation gain. This was my second hike in two days.

To my surprise and delight, Tweedy's Lewisia was blooming! Thought I missed it. It only grows in North Central Washington at certain elevations and exposures. This plant was discovered by the late Professor Tweedy of Central Washington University.

Snow melted late in the mountains. Meadows were carpeted with yellow Glacier Lilies, the first wildflower to bloom in the mountains after the snow melts.

"Ah-choo!" Yellow pollen rained down from evergreen trees. Thank goodness it was windy! The lower lake was covered with pollen. It was cool in the shade at this elevation. Meanwhile, it was a hundred degrees in Wenatchee.

Much of the trail was covered with gold Northern Larch needles, leftover from "Golden Week" last October. Photos:

1. Tweedy's Lewisia flowers.

2. Glacier Lilies.

3. Lake Clara, the lower lake.

4. Lake Marion, the highest lake at 5,475 feet elevation.

5. Golden Week: Northern Larch at Lake Clara in October 2018.

LiterateHiker 9 June 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Great photos and story as always.

You have such a grasp for the flora and fauna of your area! That’s impressive. Great pictures!

Beautiful pictures! Was 104 today in Phoenix.

Great pictures...the heat has to be a pain though...stay hydrated.

Love the Tweedy's Lewisia. I wish something like that would grow here.

@GeorgeRocheleau

Here are more picture of Tweedy's Lewisia. My favorite wildflower. "A little bit of Hawaii in North Central Washington," Karen said.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:601004
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.