Agnostic.com

12 23

While I understand that religious people see the world through their delusional, religious filter and that would lead them to believe that Atheism is a religion, it's just not.

SnowyOwl 8 June 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My spin is to say that freedom of religion is for believers, freedom from religion is for skeptics. Atheists fall under the heading of skeptics.

Reminds me of the old Will Rogers quote. "I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."
I am not a member of any religious organization. I am an atheist.

posted before. That atheism is a religion is like saying that off is a TV station.

correction. TV channel

Well, AMEN to all that.

All atheism is a lack of belief in any gods or belief in zero gods.

Leftism is a secular religion embraced by too many "free-thinking" atheists.

As a Lefty Libertarian I agree and disagree with your comment. 🙂

alternatively, using similar logic, is the nazi movement a secular religion?

@Healthydoc70 Is Islam an imperialist political ideology?

So, you are saying, I don’t need to pay money to the atheist priest down the road? Won’t he be surprised!

But atheism is also not taxed.

As an Atheist I find being around the religious to be very taxing indeed and since public funds always find a way of getting into the hands of religions then there is an indirect tax on Atheists.

Atheism doesn’t qualify as a religion in my judgment, but it’s not so clear as some might think. For starters there is no scholarly (or otherwise) consensus on precisely what constitutes a religion. And there is quite a wide spectrum of concepts and behaviors that fall under the heading of “atheism”.

I know, every atheist is certain s/he knows the one and only final perfect definition of atheism... and they all differ.

But some atheists do relate to their atheism in ways that are similar to how some theists relate to their theism. So an argument could be made that there is some overlap.

One of the functions of religion is to give people a worldview or cosmology from which to orient their life, and to some extent, atheism (and its usual attendant confidence in science) can serve that purpose.

Religions also give people a source of social cohesion, and such cohesion is clearly facilitated by sites like this one and many other atheism-oriented organizations.

And nowhere near last or least, atheism can be, and often is, taken up as an identity, with every bit as much fervor as any religious person might display, and with at least as much closed-mindedness.

So I don’t think the distinction is as clear as some would like to think.

What atheism doesn’t do is provide a coordinated, systematic practice that helps the individual and the species balance the demands of civilization against his/her/its evolved instinctual impulses. So in this most important way, atheism doesn’t rise to a fuller, biological, anthropological, scientific measure of religion.

skado Level 9 June 9, 2021

When I was a Christian I lumped atheists in with the devil worshipping crowd. I believe that’s how most Christians do. Now I look at atheists as reasonable and rational people that just follow the evidence and actually know more about the Bible than 99.9% of Christians. It’s through this knowledge they made the decision to be atheists

Not believing in ( as opposed to being agnostic about) fairy stories from the Bronze Age can never be considered a religion. Only foolish religious people make this false equivalent.

I hear this Bronze Age reference a lot and always wonder where it originated. I think I remember hearing it from Sam Harris, so maybe he started it. But I don’t know what it is referring to exactly.

The Bronze Age is generally considered to have started some time in the 4th millennium BC, and fairy stories most certainly existed long before that. And it ended a good thousand years before Christ. So... why Bronze Age fairy stories in particular?

@skado While the New Testament is Iron Age in vintage, the Old Testament is Bronze Age in origin.

@SnowyOwl
How do we know its origin? Maybe when it was first committed to writing, but is there some reason to believe these stories didn’t evolve orally for thousands of years previously?

@skado All of the weaponry is bronze age and not stone age, much of the Old Testament is about the fighting and the killing so it is clearly bronze age in origin. Granted that Cain smashed in his brother Abel's skull with a rock but it doesn't make it a Stone Age story.

I was referring to the Christian death cult religion, which grew out of earlier religions -- actually a sub-variant of Jewish religion -- which also evolved from previous religions going back tens of thousands of years. Dr Richard Carrier in his excellent lectures on religious history shows that religions go back 40,000 years on earth, and we have quite good secular religious history dating back 10,000. But the Bronze Age is when the Abrahamic religions more or less evolved from antecedent religions. That's putting it a tad more precisely.

@SnowyOwl

Oral traditions typically used local places and events to clothe their mythologies, but the stories contained ancient archetypal structures like the dying and rising king, the hero’s journey, etc. which appear in mythologies in all cultures, in all time periods.

The local specifics weren’t frozen in time until writing was invented, at about the beginning of the Bronze Age.

They added their local histories, names, places, etc. just as earlier people had done orally. The Bronze Age was just the first time the stories could be recorded, but elements of the stories go back at least six thousand years before the Bronze Age.

What makes the Garden of Eden a Stone Age story is that it depicts the invention of agriculture.

Most importantly, we don't fund a leader's 70 million dollar estate through tithe. We also don't pay the legal fees for the child rape litigations.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:602349
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.