Agnostic.com

6 2

So as someone that loves reading and fanfiction in peculiar, I've become a lot more forgiving when I think of Christians as merely being people that are truly obsessed with their fandom. It's unfortunate that so many people get cannon Jesus (Jewish brown guy that feed the poor) messed up with fandom Jesus (White dude that hates gays or something?) while I don't believe in either it does make dealing with overzealous Christians a bit easier to think that they are truly just hardcore nerds quoting a book. Thoughts?

RavenGreer 5 Dec 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The bible was so much better before Lucas got a hold of it and decided to remake the original trinity.

Well, RavenGreer, that is an interesting analogy, but it breaks down upon inspection. You see, christians quote the quotes, walk the walk, and generally make their irritating presence known because they are constantly engaged in convincing themselves. It takes effort to believe something one knows or suspects is not true, hence the mantras unleashed on the grownups.

When have you ever come across a Batman fan who had to work at loving Batman, or be disgusted by Joker? A Trekkie making excuses for why they like it. A Star Wars fan shouting, "Whadda ya mean fantasy? It's true, man. You just haven't taken the Force into your heart. If you ever did, you'd know, man. You'd know."

Live long, and prosper, RavenGreer.

Seems all religions provide a platform for social power, so when I listen to a zealot, skipping over reality in order to recite their favorite flavor of fiction, it always feels as though there’s something at work beyond their ‘trying to enlighten,’ or ‘save’ me…. It feels more like a hard-sell pyramid scheme than the charitable desire to help me navigate life. And, it’s so one-way. Seems they’ll only listen to your perspective until it reminds them of ‘that chapter’ on whatever ...then on & on & on..

Just because we’re willing to admit we don’t know it all, that there remain mysteries ...and that mysteries can be exciting, they not only want to rob us of such mysteries by hammering home their desired beliefs, but apparently remain incapable of sharing or appreciating our humility. If one book, or a series of books are their ‘proof’ of anything or everything … for me, it’s difficult to even respect their devotion, let alone their conclusions…

Varn Level 8 Dec 1, 2017

My experience with most religious zealots is that they are small-minded and uneducated, as well as bigoted. So I don't forgive, I simply walk away.

Lol. I love this comparison. But most folks in fandom aren’t going to tell parents to kick their teen out of the house because gay is contagious and you don’t want your other kids to catch it. >😟

Yeah, his price of fame is deep. The blonde white Jesus tells us a lot about what people want to believe in. Ugh.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6033
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.