Agnostic.com

2 4

in 1876, George Eliot wrote comments in her autobiography with respect to the antisemitism of the times. "The best that can be said of it is that it is a sign of the intellectual narrowness----in plain English, the stupidity----which is still the average mark of our culture." Seems to me the English culture of the times equaled the American culture of the times and the present American culture. I would find it nearly impossible to refute her premise.

Healthydoc70 7 June 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I find it annoying that after the recent Israeli war crimes against the Palestinians the American Conservatives are quick to call any protest "antisemitic." Meanwhile a huge percentage of Conservatives still call Jewish people "Christ Killers."
As per normal the propaganda masters in Conservative media paint all things good as bad, and all things bad as good.
Blessing Israel doesn't make anyone Jewish friendly, and protesting their governments hard line atrocities doesn't make anyone antisemitic.

Sadly she was correct then and now.

barjoe Level 9 June 14, 2021
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:603369
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.