Agnostic.com

7 4

Why some biologists and ecologists think social media is a risk to humanity

One challenge is how little we know about the dangers.

[vox.com]

skado 9 June 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

[theconversation.com]

its-not-just-bad-behavior-why-social-media-design-makes-it-hard-to-have-constructive-disagreements-online

“ What we’re concerned about is the fact that this information ecosystem has developed to optimize something orthogonal to things that we think are extremely important…”

we all basically watched google change from “don’t be evil” I guess, right

It is playing a roll for sure. The last few years is proof of that. Russian interference in the election. The President using Twiiter to rile up the nut jobs. The nut jobs used to be everywhere as they are now, but now they have found each other and can organize and feed each other bullshit and rile each other up. Years ago most people got their news from the three TV networks. We all got the same news and everyone from whatever their political persuasion was talked with each other. Now too many folks look around the internet to find the content that agrees with their perception of what is going on or agrees with what they would like the country to be. Most everything in life has a trade off and this is one of those situations.

Control knowledge control communication of information control people.

Word Level 8 June 30, 2021

The article says “…we could see unintended consequences of new technology contributing to phenomena such as “election tampering, disease, violent extremism, famine, racism, and war.”

Social media contributed to that stuff?

The accusers are trying too hard.. I suspect their motives.

However, as the authors have related COVID 19 to the Black Death, it might be relevant to point out the extreme differences between the two, which might not be popular, but wouldn’t even be possible nowadays with a more controlled media, i don’t think.

An uncomfortable truth is that scientists are generally gnostics, too, and will eagerly recruit ppl into their POV just like any other gnostic would, convinced of their own rectitude, and eager to silence the many other—in this case epistemological—voices that suggest a different opinion.

“Everyone on the same page” seems like a great idea though, huh?
it is a gnostic fallacy imo, a call to fascism, to build another tower that will not stand

I tend to agree with Professor Bergstrom’s conclusions. I have felt for some time that we as a species are not ready for the social network. In order to be ready we need more education, critical thinking skills, emotional intelligence, and open, yet skeptical, minds. And that’s just the beginning.

so then participating in social net will likely engender the education etc needed, or one might find themselves irrelevant or even in demise, but personally responsible either way?

I mean don't get me wrong, internet misinfo is a pain sometimes, sure, but it has taught me to seek more than one opinion, reference resources better, etc too

@bbyrd009 “…participating in social net will likely engender the education etc needed…”
Not likely.
“…it [the internet] has taught me to seek more than one opinion, reference resources better, etc”
When it comes to internet consumers, clearly you are above the mean! 😉

@p-nullifidian ha well I can get lazy too…i can see how cynicism might rise, when we might prefer skepticism, but short of even more web censorship what do you recommend? Why stifle a free market, where charlatans are outed soon enough, and avenues for abuse of power are not encouraged? Short of some kind of “education” what is being recommended here?

@bbyrd009 I’m all for free markets, but when technology outpaces our capacity to handle it, we’ve got problems!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:606396
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.