Agnostic.com

7 21

Yesterday's hike in brutal heatwave.

Karen and I met at Squilchuck State Park super early (half-past zero o'clock for night owls like me). The woods were deliciously cool in the shade once a breeze started up.

The forest is tinder dry, waiting for rain. Nothing much blooming. Tiger lilies and Honeysuckle flowers were brown and shriveled in the heat. I saw cute yellow sedums blooming.

"What smells so good?" Karen asked. Fragrant, white blossoms of short Spirea plants!

We turned around and retraced our shady route, rather than descend in the hot sun. Hiked four and a half miles. Drank ice water continuously without visiting the woods.

After the hike, I stopped for gas and groceries. My feet hurt, I was hungry and had to go the the bathroom. The trifecta of the over-forty female crowd.

Photos:

1. Yellow sedums.

Flowers blooming last year at this time:

1. Mountain Tiger Lily.

2. Mountain Honeysuckle.

LiterateHiker 9 July 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You do nice pics. I hope you are able to sell some of them. There is a market I'm sure.

@DenoPenno

Thank you.

Never thought of selling my photos.

Beautiful photos as always.

Lovely as usual. 😉

I found these cute tiny dancers in our forested park last evening - Deadly Nightshade

Pretty.

Beautiful pictures. Make sure you take water with you when hiking.

@xenoview

For day hikes, I always carry 1-1/2 liters of water. More on hot days.

Beautiful pictures but please be very careful in this awful heat

bobwjr Level 10 July 1, 2021
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:606584
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.