Agnostic.com

3 0

In my mind there are two separate issues. Belief in some sort of a supernatural being and religion, which is an organization that has the goal of controlling people and their behaviors using the claim of some special knowledge of who that supernatural being is what it supposedly thinks.

A person could reject religion and still believe in some supernatural being, although that seems to happen somewhat rarely. People tend to enjoy being in groups which support their delusions.

Personally, I reject religion as it has cruelly manipulated billions of humans and done nothing positive for humankind which otherwise could not have been accomplished without any religion.

I have found no evidence of any supernatural beings existence, nor have I heard any logical presentation of why there would/should be a supernatural being. When younger, I did search for such evidence, but upon not finding any, long ago gave up the search. In my older years I hear people advocating for having such beliefs, but all their positions are repeating ancient, worn out, unsupportable, illogical positions.

Given the somewhat pointless debate of whether one is an agnostic or an atheist, I reject both labels to be applied to me. I simply do not support nor participate in religion and I simply do not believe in supernatural beings. No label needed.

If you agree with my point of view fine, if you do not, then go fuck yourself.

creative51 8 July 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As a nullifidian (one who is without faith or religious belief), I tend to agree with you ... so I suppose I don't need to fuck myself. 😉

My de-conversion process from religious faith to no faith at all involved a way point or rest stop called Deism, the faith of my avatar, Thomas Paine. At some point I understood that all organized religions are the creations of human beings who acted on their own (i.e., without divine inspiration), and that all religions that have ever existed, including those today, are feckless at best, and immoral at worst.

Paine believed that 'the Almighty' created the universe and all the laws that govern it, and then went on to other more important matters. A Deist doesn't accept that there is a 'personal god' who, on occasion, intervenes in human affairs. Deists thus reject reports of miracles, prophets, houses of worship and all self-anointed clergy. Paine said, "My own mind is my own church."

I was fine with this position for a time, but soon realized that whether or not I believed in such a deity made no difference, and so the Deist god became just as irrelevant and nonexistent as the others.

Your lack of finding, therefore giving up, has little to do with either of the two POV expressed. A supernatural being would not have to give you proof of its existence but possibly you weren't looking in the right realm. That can happen. Once I tried to find my mom in the house and she was outside. I do agree that religion is a man-made and enforced org that attracts people who need community. Any community would do but the one their parents belonged to has an automatic history. As for atheism vs agnosticism there is a difference. Atheists tend to reject differences and lump disparate ideas into atheism, though. It is as much a failing as looking for mom inside the house. We have all looked for this supernatural being in the grandness of cosmos. Possibly it exists in the smallness of quantum world, however. We haven't really looked there. My idea (posted) lies in that world. People demand I prove it but how can I prove something science has not sufficiently delved into? In the meantime it excludes the divine for an energy form which feeds on our senses. That would solve a lot of human issues with religious spirituality.
Your last line is funny but an expected atheistic insult to everyone outside your thinking. Insults tend to stop conversations, close minds, and draw battle lines. I try to not do that, anymore.

@creative51 The "rules" are set by the religion. Not the supernatural being, if it does not want to provide proof of its existence, so you can't blame it or shut out all possibilities for what you have failed to uncover. I am a Taoist so it's just bullshit that I challenge (and the digital age is full of bullshit).

creative51, meet science.
science, meet creative51.

skado Level 9 July 5, 2021

@creative51
Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring.

@skado not a criticism a witticism.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:607295
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.