Agnostic.com

5 0

Why do you support trophy hunting?

Do you support trophy hunting and think it's a useful tactic in culling the herd or is it something that should be outlawed altogether?

• 2 votes
  • 17 votes
SamL 7 Dec 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Tnis is a loaded question really.. but I support responsible trophy hunting.

Few people know or are willing to recognize that hunting is pretty much the number 1 source of financial support of conversation. In the US, hunting and fishing licenses provide the most support of organizations that provide conversation. In other countries where big game trophy hunting takes place, the fees pay for conversation of the rest of the animals. Without it, they wouldn't be able to pay to keep them alive, poachers would run rampant, and the species would go extinct quicker.

This is coming from an animal lover who tried hunting once and didn't even kill anything.. I just don't let my love cloud my judgement.

I think there are ways they could make this money without having these canned hunts. Let them hunt with cameras, not guns, for instance. They are catering to those who want to KILL an animal, just for the bragging rights.

@Joanne They do charge for that kind of stuff too.. but the revenue generated by tourism is next to nothing compared to hunting fees. Sucks, but it's really the best option. Not unless you're willing to start donating massive amounts of money or have massive amounts of people donate a lil bit.. but I don't see that happening. Next option would be to increase taxes, but I have a feeling the citizens there wouldn't want to or couldn't pay.

Even in the US, hunting is on a decline and many conservation departments are already having to cut back. Departments that deal with keeping track of wildlife and fighting back invasive species are scrapping for money in many states and are looking into creating taxes to help.

Does trophy hunting suck? Yes, but at this time, it's a necessary evil.

There are benefits as well. Typically, they're only allowed to hunt individuals that provide lil to nothing to the rest of the herd or are actually negatively impacting the herd. Old males and females who are passed their prime are usually hunted.. and the meat is typically given to the locals.

So unless you're going to make up for the revenue lost from hunting, I wouldn't be so quick to judge hunters.

[npr.org]

This is a good article on the condition of hunting in the US and is representative of what is happening all over the world. The loss of hunters will do more harm than good to wildlife, unless all the non-hunters are willing to step up their financial support. That means more taxes, more fees to visit parks, more fees to simply take photos of wildlife.. which will create the same amount, if not more, of complaining geared toward hunters.

@FatherOfNyx I am not opposed to hunting itself. I am only opposed to those who kill for the sake of killing. I am sorry, but I just do not think that wild animals, especially endangered or otherwise threatened species, should be raised just to be part of a canned hunt. People who do this are not hunters--the animal has no chance, they are simply killers.

Trophy hunting has nothing to do with "culling the herd" Animals are bred in farms in Southern Africa and released to be shot by men with lots of money and a small penis. As for the female trophy hunters ??

Just calling animals "game" bothers me.

Pass time for sociopaths

it's a complete disgrace

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6078
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.