Agnostic.com

3 7

It's really that simple

OldMetalHead 9 July 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I pleased to see more and more posts from people confidently declaring themselves an an atheist.

Ah, but your atheism may as well be all that because from a believer's view, you repudiate his values. Atheists are regarded as being at the same level as child molesters. Even Muslims are more highly regarded. It is entirely fair to disparage religionists given that their belief in bullshit is a repudiation of a sane persons reverence for Truth, honesty and integrity.

It’s almost that simple, I agree. If the meme could be modified to say literal god.

But when it says any god, that would include metaphorical gods, and I’m convinced Clapton is real. 😎

skado Level 9 July 13, 2021

Maybe he is a metaphorical atheist.

@Fernapple

‘splain pleese.

Is that someone who is not a literal atheist?

Or someone who doesn’t believe metaphors exist?

Or something else?

@skado Can't you recognize a joke when you see it ? Boy, talk about lost in your own little world.

But even so, there is, as with all logical paradoxes, some truth to be found there. To be a metaphorical atheist would be pointless and silly. And probably not logically sound, as the existence of metaphorical gods is empirically evident anyway, even to the believer in literal gods. As in the old atheist saying. "Believers are atheists, to nearly all gods that ever existed, I just go one god more." But you would be hard pressed to find, for example, a Christian literalist, who would refuse to recognize that Odin, Zeus and Apollo did not, and could not, exist as metaphorical objects. Therefore an atheist is by definition only a literal atheist, or at least you would be hard pressed to find a metaphorical one I would think.

And don't tell me that you thought that I was one, there being a big difference between metaphorical gods and metaphor as religion.

@Fernapple
I’m not your enemy, Fern. Just trying to explore ideas. Chill, bro.

@skado Me too and this is humour as well.

@Fernapple
Yeah, mine’s all humor too. See how that works?

@skado Yes quite well, but mine is serious humour.

@skado PS. Don't forget you are talking to a Brit. We may not have been the first people to weaponize irrony, (ancient Greeks probably as usual) but we were certainly the first to use it a our main front line arm. Now rise to my expectation and give a considered, serious, sparkling response to my sad little jest.

@Fernapple
Sorry but I’m not into ego contests, Fern. Best wishes.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:609214
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.