Agnostic.com

10 7

Jesuspeaks to politicians in Virginia

“ In God We Trust’ decals will go on all Chesapeake city vehicles”- By GORDON RAGO, THE VIRGINIAN-PILOT JUL 14, 2021 AT 3:50

Chesapeake council members unanimously agreed Tuesday to put “In God We Trust decals on all city vehicles.

Staff with the city’s fleet management department will attach the decals over the next several months as vehicles come in for routine maintenance or new vehicles are purchased.

The resolution drew 17 speakers, many of whom spoke in support while some questioned the time and effort needed for the decals when the city could be addressing other issues such as infrastructure and education.

Decals will cost $6,000 and labor costs will be about $81,600, according to a staff report from June. In April, Councilman Don Carey asked the department to look into placing the decals on
Carey said he wanted decals on city vehicles to “quell divisive rhetoric” and begin to unify people along racial and political lines

“If you look around, you can see that the state of our country, the state of our city is crumbling from a social fabric standpoint,” Carey said Tuesday night.
He pointed to how “In God We Trust” has been reaffirmed as the nation’s motto in bipartisan fashion dating to the 1950s and how it appears on currency. In 2016, Chesapeake council members unanimously voted to put the motto in its chambers.

But at least one speaker said the motto isn’t fully representative of the country and that it should be modified to say “In God Some of Us Trust.”

The motto has drawn opposition elsewhere in the past. Critics say it’s divisive because “it excludes those who don’t believe in God, as well as Buddhists, Hindus and others who follow non-monotheistic faiths,” according to the Pew Research Center.

Still, efforts to challenge its constitutionality have so far failed as judges ruled it does not violate the First Amendment’s prohibition on the establishment of religion.

Carey said the motto is not an appeal to a particular God or deity and he’s not using it as a tool to coerce people into Christianity.”

What about decals on Atheists’ private cars in Virginia stating😀rive carefully. Do not trust any god to save lives »?

Klodzan 5 July 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I live in Chesapeake, have lived here the majority of my life... and this city and what they chose to make room within their budget verses throw out is becoming absolutely crazy! I'm currently fighting to save curbside recycling here which half the council members decided wasn't worth funding and saw mentions of things such like this and other routes they've decided to take and had to look it myself...to find out that they're willing to spend $81,600 on decals that are actually divisive and by no means inclusive to people of different religious backgrounds and beliefs..it's infuriating! I hope all these poor decisions are brought at the next couple council meetings by speakers. I hope it's ok if I add a link to ChesapeakeRecycles.com (petition to continue recycling) but also there is info there that guides people on how to speak at meetings, I hope this issue is brought up too, thank you for the info, I'll be sharing for sure!

Put a decal on my vehicle, get to remove it with your tongue & teeth, you miserable POS!

I'm counting on the Freedom From Religion Foundation and also astonished that it takes 81,600 to put the decals on vehicles. This city evidently pays a very high hourly wage if that is the case.

There are sooo many infractions in this move. Seems some overzealous politicians never seem to learn from others mistakes.

Duplicate post much??

What happened to separation of church and state? I’d buy that atheist bumper sticker.

Such a waste of money and so, damn stupid. Glad I don't live there.

The FFRF will handle this in court. Can you delete two of your three postings.

These yahoos just keep making more work for the FFRF.
Someone should have told this council it's going to cost even more money to have the decals removed after they lose in court.
Idgits.

The stupidity of these acts that eventually cost more money in court as they are unconstitutional sours my stomach. I lived near Dover, Pennsylvania when the whole b.s. of teaching intelligent design occurred. That cost the taxpayers 1.5 million in lost legal costs. It would have cost over 3 million, but those citizens suing opted to only collect legal fees and not the awarded damages as well.

I am sure we can organize a counter campaign to get Flying Spaghetti Monster decals on all of the vehicles at no cost to the tax payers.

BDair Level 8 July 19, 2021

And the entrenched dig deeper.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:610422
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.