Agnostic.com

13 2

Does our capacity for thinking have an expiration date?

Or is it just a slow descent into death?

atheist 8 Apr 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well, in my case, it's a slow descent into death, and I am already past my expiration date.🙂

marga Level 7 Apr 24, 2018

in some cases there may end up being a date one stopped thinking on, like if a person ended up with head trauma and was brain dead, that would count, or people who are quick witted and all that good stuff their whole life and one day they die of a sudden heart attack, or the get sat on by an elephant, i would think those sorts of things would stop you from thinking pretty quick. but in a lot of cases it is a slow process. as mental illnesses that are common in the elderly take hold, a person can just slowly slip away a bit more each day till they're gone. but unless you live in some sort of society like the one i saw in star trek once, where they start old and grow young and have a date picked out for their death, i don't really think theres an exact date picked out till you get right up on it. or i guess if they allow assisted suicide you would have a set date maybe...

Byrd Level 7 Apr 23, 2018

@atheist ah, that makes more sense, I suppose my mammas correct when she says I take things too literally sometimes. in that case I'm not sure, I mean I would think as a thinking person, that if I could no longer think, there wouldn't be much left worth living for, but if you can't think, I don't think you would not like it or like it because that requires some thought...hmm, I like this question!

@atheist I think so, yes. there are many things that don't have a mind as far as we would think of it, but are still scientifically alive. plants, fungi, corals, things like that. and some would say that the less complex organisms like germs and all that probably don't really have a mind, and those are alive. but I know a lot of people who don't count those kinds of things when they speak of living things, so I suppose this to is another matter of perception.

@atheist I disagree, I don't believe that everything in a given category is the same. there are similarities, or it wouldn't be a category I suppose, but the way I see it, there are new discoveries all the time that show that the things we once thought were simple to define, can actually be quite complex. for example, I recently watched a documentary, it may have been a part of that planet earth series. anyhow, some sciency folks were studying a bunch of plants and the chemicals they make, and they seemed to have come to the conclusion after a while, that the plants were communicating with one another. when one plant, who was in no way connected to another plant was injured, it released some chemicals that told its neighbors that there was a threat, these other plants then started mass producing a certain chemical for protection from any bitey little bugs. they also suggested that some were able to communicate what type of threat it was to a small degree. I didn't get to finish watching it tho so I'm not sure how conclusive that last bit was. anyway, my point is, that I don't think a thing has to follow all the same rules as the other things in its category, or everything would just be the same. I suppose I just see many paths to the same end. but I can see where your point of view is coming from as well.

@atheist yes

Yes, it’s called senility.

You mean like on dairy products?

Not clear on the exact question you're asking.

I've been a knowledge worker my whole adult life (software development) and am now 61. So far, I'd say past age 50 or so, certain aspects of mental acuity have slowed down. It pretty much mirrors my physical deterioration. I go up and down stairs far more slowly, walk far more carefully on uneven sidewalks and the like. My balance and proprioception always were sub-par anyway, and now I can't rely on quick reflexes to save me from spills. It's like that with my mind -- I can still function so long as I'm methodical and careful in certain contexts. I take better notes, make more to-do lists that I used to keep in my head, etc.

But this is highly individual. And it's also somewhat a function of the work you do. My work requires intense focus and the holding of large abstractions in your short term memory. If I didn't need to exercise those faculties I probably wouldn't notice any issues. As it is, my main problem is probably with juggling distractions. Sometimes I have 3 different people at work trying to interact with me, my wife wants something, the dog needs walking, and I just give up in frustration and end the day early as I know I'm not going to do anything but thrash around from that point on. Fortunately I'm in a position to have that kind of flexibility. The billable hours take a bit of a hit though.

My wife is forgetting a lot of things and worries about early onset dementia. In her case I think it's just the effects of lifelong insomnia and anxiety, which, even though she is making real strides with that, has probably fried a few circuits by now. So it's unclear how much that will improve with better sleep, and how much is permanent damage. I have a physical version of that, had chronic Lyme disease for many years and although cured now for the past 15 years or so, have residual joint damage from it. Also Lyme may have effected my brain.

So many factors in the mix, and so many individual strengths and weaknesses, that you really can't make generalizations. Nor is there much point; our next door neighbor just got a stage 4 pancreatic cancer diagnosis, so mental acuity is the least of her concerns now. Anything can turn to shit at this point in my life, for any reason or for no reason, so I don't worry too much about trying to control it. If I did, I'd be awake at least as much as my wife, and then things would just break sooner.

Please define expiration date. Is it when the brain cease functioning or the mind not controlling you
Tough one

Rosh Level 7 Apr 19, 2018

Sure, but everyone has a different limit. I've seen my grandmother and aunt die with alsheimers, my grandfather die with emphasima, my brother die from a heart attack, and my father (sharp as a tac) die because he was ready. We all stop ticking sometime.

Definitely does have an expiry date, unless somethign else kills you forst, the baain dies like all cells. My memoey is not as fast as it was, for now my capacity for leanr new things is still strong, but I probably will forget them soon.

It's probably the same date asthe expirydste on your birth certificate! Lol..

Our capacity for thinking does not fade - it simply takes longer to process thoughts - and becomes harder to remember our conclusions.
When I was 20 I thought faster than my mouth could handle. Now I'm 76 I have to time-share resources between thinking and mouthing my thoughts - and if I allocate too much mouth time, I forget the next part of the thought! The same , of course, applies to writing them down.
I know I had a good idea - I just can't remember what it was!

I don't think so... I've met some very old people sharp as a tack

I turned 55 today and I'm prone to go with the slow death of my intelligence. I know I have it, I just don't remember where I left it.

Happy Birthday!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:61072
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.