Agnostic.com

3 3

LINK Low Pay Is The Main Reason So Many Workers Are Quitting Restaurant Jobs : NPR

I can say the same for myself. Because of my age, I realized that it wasn't worth the trouble to drag myself out of bed for shit money. The pandemic opened my eyes. I don't think I would've made that decision if I were younger. Apparently a lot of younger people have.

barjoe 9 July 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I live in a resort area, where the restaurants are all understaffed for the sudden surge of visitors we are having after our state lifted some travel restrictions. There are long lines for restaurants that don't take reservations and zero availability for restaurants that do... BUT most of us (residents anyway) have been tipping double since the eateries opened back up short staffed. Since the regular pay is not that great, hopefully the promise of extra tips to be shared with the cooks and other employees will entice a few more back to work. It's a slow transition. With restaurants only able to have 75% capacity until we have more of the residents vaccinated, it will just take some time - and yes better pay from patrons willing to pay a bit more for a night out!

Overtipping is fun.

I agree. If restaurants paid a living wage as opposed to using the tip excuse, people would probably go back to work. We are in a buyers market and substandard wager payers need to recognize this.

t1nick Level 8 July 21, 2021

About 10 years ago with my $2.80/hr I was making about $2K/week.

@barjoe

True for some restaurants I'm sure. But universal. I doubt that is consistent in smaller restaurants or smaller towns.

@t1nick Most FOH employees in restaurants have done very well with the tip system. I worked at a hotel and I know some cities are better than others. I say this because hotel guests from some parts of the country were better than from other places.

@barjoe

But can you really project this to most prople working in the restraunt industry? Would a person working in a Denny's in Tyler, Tx. or Joe's Diner in Salmon, Idaho be able to make this claim. How about the bus Boys or dishwashers. I have never worked in the food industry, but dated plenty of waitresses.

@t1nick Waitresses, bartenders are front of the house FOH. BOH, back of the house, dishwashers and cooks don't make very much money.

@barjoe

Exactly. Reason for a guaranteed living wage.

NPR is brilliant. Low pay and free access to the plague. Younger people also get sick and need to be respectfully paid.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:610779
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.