Agnostic.com

18 2

I've never been in love.

I'm 25. I've been engaged. Ive had a baby. I've done the party phase. I've done the starving artist thing. But I've never been in love. I've never given it much thought... what does it feel like?

Peeves 6 Apr 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When we're discussing something, we first need to define what we're discussing. Words have no intrinsic meaning, they are just descriptions. So what exactly do you mean by 'love'?

KenG Level 6 Apr 24, 2018

I have never been in a relationship that had an emotional connection. I've never been with someone I was excited to see all the time, or that made me feel safe or comfortable. I've never felt 'butterflies' or felt the need for a companion. I've.been with women and men. I tried for a long time to force being straight on myself that for a while I thought I was broken, but it's the same now. I feel like it's inconvenient. Every relationship I've tried basically fizzles out because I have other things to do, like be a good mom or work one of my 3 jobs and i guess that could be why. Or t tiny pool of gay women in my town/province. I want to feel love and I am really missing that portion of my life but my heart just isn't in it. Maybe it's my fault, maybe I am a little broken, or maybe I just need to be patient. I just wanted to hear people talk about love and how they feel about it. I want to want love.

Thank you all. So much.
This was amazingly helpful.

I agree with another comment I saw here . You need to love your self , before you can love someone else . If you look at all the people/things people say they love , the only thing they all have in common , is they make you feel good about yourself . So let's look at your favorite pet , for example . Let's say someone gave you a puppy when you were young . The puppy is cute , it smells good , it's excited and wiggles all over the place . It follows you around , happy to be in your presence , plays with you , and makes you laugh . You look at your parent and say . Can we keep it . Then it chews up your homework , pees on your floor , needs to be fed , watered , and walked . Then you feel more like you're it's slave . You grumble . Eventually , you decide whether the trouble is worth it's attentions .

Ever seen “Remains of the Day?” The main character comes very close to being “in love,” but never quite gets out of his cage to touch the face of love. Very sad. My Grandmother once told me that she had never been in love despite her many years. I was sad for her. I think it enriches you. You still are very young and have time to experience love. Keep the door open. It can walk in any day of your life.

One of the greatest problems i have with the English language is that whe it comes to feelings of love the language is brossly lacking in a covabulary that can adequately desribe it. Thsi may be true for other languages too.

Anyway, I think "in love" is basically carign for someone else either equally or more than you care for yourself. Which may explain why peopel with low self esteem seem to alwasy choose poor partners. If you dont' think much of yourself, it is easy to care for someone else more even if they are unhdeserving of it.

I should probably add that I'm gay. And came out 2 years ago. So it's not that I'm heartless or cold, I've just been pretending for 12 years prior to this new life. I'm just curious about how you know...or if it's different for everyone...I just wanted to talk about it. I love the idea of being in love.

Too early to use the word never.

have you ever eaten cold ice cream on a 100 degree day??
its so sastifilying isnt it????
to me thats what it feels to be in love.
to actually have some one in your life you cares and values you as a person.
to have some in your life that u know you can count on to be there for you.
and who will always have your back.

You're young. Apparently your baby's father and you didn't know each other that well? Give it time. It feels like you are on a cloud and don't want tocome down.

Start loving yourself first believe me you will know what love is then

Rosh Level 7 Apr 19, 2018

Hard to remember, I didn't have an ounce of blood in my brain.

You feel so vulnerable towards another human being. It can happen when you least expect it, but just make sure you allow yourself to indulge on it with the right person and at the right time, or it can break your heart.

I always believe you become infatuated before you fall in love. The newness of a relationship and learning everything about the other person, including their likes, history, family and friends, etc. I know some people fall in love quicker than others. My wife asked me out on a date, and within a month she told me she loved me. It was around five months when I found myself in love with her. You will know when you are in love because they are on your mind most of the day. Thinking of spending time and sharing experiences with them will fill your mind. Love is wonderful and exciting!

ebdb Level 7 Apr 19, 2018

I have only had 3 relations and i can agree with you, i think if there isn't infatuation from the start then love is luck at best.

OK, at 21 I was married, 26 had one child, 27 had a 2nd child.
I didn't fall in love until I was 40.
I gave it much thought, assumed love was a fairy story and over rated, just as sex seemed to be.
But at 40 I experienced both was great.
Hvae had better and worse sex sinee, have loved other ladies since,(never loved my ex wife)
but have never been "in love" again.
Wish I could, 20 years later I still wonder "what if".
What does it feel like?
Like coming home after being shipwricked and floating on a life raft in rough seas for ever.

I've known five people who don't have the ability to feel love. I think our President lacks that ability. To try and explain it is like trying to explain what an acid trip feels like or what being on antidepressants feels like. Some things are very difficult to explain in a way you would understand. I am not sure you can explain what love feels like to someone like yourself. This is by no means about your intelligence or ability to understand. Maybe someone else here can be more help. 🙂

As stated above Infatuation is just one example. Many things can fall under that statement (ex. Wants to know your family, wants to share and treat you better than you can understand). Many different ways can represent love for different people. Fetish, Admiration, but I'm no expert, this is just my observation.

In my experience:
It feels like you've been together for all time and will be.
That's the heartbreak of falling in love.
As soon as you find them, you realize there will come a time when one of you (or both of you) will die, and you won't be together (at least, the way you are now).
So, you cherish every moment together.

At first it feels like you are floating easily through life and everything seems brighter and easier, but then "pow!", it punches you right in the stomach 🙂

What did you feel when you first held your child....

Fear

The love I feel for my daughter is 10000000% unique. I love her to a degree that can never be interrupted. Love for a person that isn't my own flesh and blood is different.
Figured that was pretty obvious.

@Peeves you don't trust anyone enough to let down your guard and let them in?

@Peeves It isn't different, at least not for me.
The love part (not the lust part, that IS different) feels much the same.
You want to hold them so tight they become part of you.
You want to make sure the world can't hurt them and are grieved and afraid because you know it will.
You want them to grow and be more, and know that them doing so might mean you lose them, but take that chance anyway.
You'll drive 2 hours home on top of 12 hour days, because that's where they are.
Not being near them makes an ache under your rib cage.
Lover or child, these things stay the same.
Even when the "children" are adults, which makes the feelings of loss permanent.

Wow.
That sounds amazing. I never thought I would feel the love that I do for my daughter. It's almost a super power. No. It IS a superpower. It's hard to believe. It sounds too perfect.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:61096
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.