Agnostic.com

16 1

Just in, my high school wants everyone to put a giant Christmas ornament on their door next week....I may have to find somewhere else to teach next semester.

MsOliver 7 Dec 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is the funniest thread ever, love the awesome ideas. Whatever you put up, make sure its Rainbow!!!

Hang a giant snowflake

Do a non traditional one and says it's a winter solstice ornament. I've got nuthin against celebrating Xmas with friends and family because it's never been a religious thing for me. It was traditional to have a midwinter celebration long before the Christian era .

Try a menorah and watch their heads explode. If they even know what it is.

Wish you’d have been my kid’s teacher… I’d end up in conferences challenging their excessive pushing of religion.. What worked for us as ‘parents’ was saying we celebrated (cuz ya gotta celebrate something!) ‘The Winter Solstice.’ Our kids got their own ‘private projects,’ culminating with the Solstice, and an opportunity to ‘explain,’ if necessary.
But Dang - you get to be the Authoritarian in this situation. Having worked within several sch. Districts myself … my lack of enthusiasm was often a safe harbor for students looking for some sanity, about now ~ And, my propensity to come Alive after New Years was welcomed as well 😉

Varn Level 8 Dec 1, 2017

A giant peace sign? In red and green.

A Rainbow one !!!

Hang a Starbucks cup! That'll get their panties in a bunch!

Festivus pole!

Just mount a Yule log on your door.

This is a school. Educate. Put up a "Christmas" ornament and a flyer explaining how the symbolism on it is from the German Pagan tradition of Yule.

Perfect response.

That's backing a specific religion, and it's faculty-led. That's unconstitutional.

The way I see it is you have two choices.

1. You can refuse to do it because of personal beliefs, call or write a letter to the FFRF, American Atheists, or the ACLU and make a big stink about it which will probably cause you to be ostracized by everyone at the school, possibly the town.

2. Cave and just put the damned thing up even though you know it's wrong and you don't like it.
    Most everyone just assumes you won't have a problem with it because they don't and they think you believe as they do.

@ icolan Whether they're Christians or not, putting up Christian symbols inside the school is a backing of a specific religion.
Even if they wanted to be more inclusive and put up decorations for every other religious holiday, how do they celebrate for non-believers? Strip the walls bare?

Put a pagan or wiccan ornament in your window and see if anybody notices. Better yet, one of the symbols which christians adopted from the pagans for the christmas season would be absolutely perfect.

So hang a NOT religious one, something cute. You can't get away from the bible thumpers, just tolerate them, most are harmless. Pick a wreath, decorate it with anything but angels LOL.

Actually, most bible thumpers are NOT harmless. They elected Cheeto.

ReadyforaChange is right, I take it back, they used to be quite harmless in a screwed up way, now they are outright dangerous. Anti Everything, filled with hate, which is the opposite of what they supposedly stand for LOL

Do you have to choose from a selection of their choice or do you get to decorate one yourself?

Betty Level 8 Dec 1, 2017

Here's a not so "reasonable" one. 😀

OK, I got a couple for you...Here's a reasonable one (pun only kinda intended).

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6110
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.