Agnostic.com

2 3

Identifying the elephant in the room - male victims of domestic violence.

"The study identified several findings where there were missed opportunities to help and support male victims, including repeated dismissal of female partners’ abusive acts by services and a lack of professional curiosity. Some of the men found themselves suspected instead.

Half of the reviews showed support services lacked guidance to help identify and treat male victims and a considerable number of men whose injuries were dismissed by the police and other services as well as friends and family. "

[cumbria.ac.uk]

FrayedBear 9 July 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It does exist and there was even an infamous case of a woman getting drunk, abusing her husband (times he was as well but she was the stronger one). In the end she shot him and had her brother string up his body over a tub and cutting him to pieces. They then burned the body. It made national news. Still, this is not the norm and far more women are physically abused then men.

@K9Kohle789 How do you think we feel living here on our idyllic island?

@K9Kohle789 Yes, but there's crazy and there's CRAZY! I think I'd prefer the former.

Society says men are the dominate ones, this is the problem with the patriarchal system. Part of me wants to say, "just get the fuck over it" because of course as a woman I've had my share of men bullying and abusing me. Minor stuff to be sure but as I am now retired and my Social Security monthly payment is based on my earnings I get less than a man because women were paid less. THAT pisses me off.
That said, men do suffer abuse by women, mental and physical and I suspect the children of an abusive woman suffer also.
There are many societal 'norms' that need to be challenged and changed, the more articles that get out into mainstream viewing the better.

@K9Kohle789 I was NOT in ANY way suggesting YOU get over it. What I want people to get over is the idea men can't be abused. I was never raped, there was a close encounter once I escaped but had to quit the job. Bosses and supervisors were the worse.
What happened to you was horrible. I hope counciling helped you with the aftermath and that you have found ways to deal and take care of yourself.

@K9Kohle789 NO, we did not or could not say anything. WE were the problem. WE encouraged the man. Before I moved away from my parents house I held 8 different jobs starting when I was 14 through the summer of my 20th b-day - 4 of them I left because of managers verbal comments of a sexual nature, groping and not feeling safe after closing up late at night. My parents thought I was a goof off and or irresponsible (I did not give a week or 2 notice, just quit). How do ya explain dodging groping hands and verbal suggestions of a sexual nature?

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:612108
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.