Agnostic.com

15 3

X-Mas

Do you feel the need to not participate in christmas because of it's christian connotations...?

nyc4life43 3 Dec 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No. Now that I have a child, it just seems practical to wrap gifts and put up a tree. We leave the religious aspect out and just use this time of year to celebrate each other and eat loads of sweets. In the past I did stay far away from anything Christmasy. I absolutely love holiday lights ???? I do dislike gathering with family and participating in mass prayer over food ??

No. Now that I have a child, it just seems practical to wrap gifts and put up a tree. We leave the religious aspect out and just use this time of year to celebrate each other and eat loads of sweets. In the past I did stay far away from anything Christmasy. I absolutely love holiday lights ????

I don't go as far as the religious part but I'm always in for a santa bar crawl.

I participate, I use any and every reason to drink and be merry 🙂

My family was Jehovah Witnesses, but my mom raised me secular and let me decide what i wanted on my own, and when i was little I definitely wanted Christmas presents, so she started celebrating Christmas. FYI my mom is awesome

baaaaaaa humbug

I buy gifts and decorate my living space with Christmas things. I don't celebrate the Christian meaning though.

It is a family event for me much more than a religious one. I generally don't go to church on Christmas Eve any more, something I used to do religiously. I don't care much for the music. I like the lights and presents and food. This year I'll be having pizza (non-traditional fare!) with my sister, her boyfriend, and our parents on Christmas Eve and playing pinochle. My kids will be with their mom doing her elaborate family traditions some of which are religious.

"X-Mas" - the mothers of the "X-Men". Coming soon to a cinema near you 🙂

No, I have no problem with that any more than I care about its pagan underpinnings. It's a fairly secular holiday in most respects anyway, so it really doesn't irk me.

No. I do not support Christianity or any religion. I was recently asked by my grandson why I exchange gifts at X-mas. I replied that I am celebrating my love of family and friends. It gives me joy to find a gift that I know will be perfect for each person. I am the only atheist in my family so it is a time when I can see my entire family and have fun together. I am NOT celebrating the birth of Jesus as they do, I am celebrating US.

Yes! I often feel odd about being amongst Christians for a Christmas gathering, because of the meaning they attach to it. It's as though by participating that I am implying to them that I share those views. In a very real way, it feels dishonest.

Not the dishonesty I was talking about.

I don't participate in the Christian aspects of Christmas. Nothing ruins a good holiday celebration like religion does..

No i Love Christmas and don’t give a fig for the religious aspects to the celebration. Most of the religious parts have been proven to be false or of pagan origin anyway.

I love the Christmas season... the lights, the colors, the decorations. I don't necessarily celebrate with family though since most of them are far away, but I hang out with friends. For us it's mostly just food and drinks.

It's a holiday and a good time to spend with family and friends. It has been so commercialized it is easy to forget the religious aspects.

Same with Easter, chocolate bunnies, chickens, and eggs mmmm. What's not to like. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Dec 1, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6130
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.