Agnostic.com

5 1

While LOTR is a much better read than the Bible, which set of books do you think would make a better holy text for a religion? I've read the Bible 2.5 times before I just gave up on it as anything more than a penny dreadful and I suspect that most people who state that they have read the Bible from cover to cover more than once are actually just scanning the texts that they are referred to by their priest, pastor, minister, etc.
LOTR or Bible or ????

SnowyOwl 8 Aug 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For me personally, as a conservative Orthodox Christian, the Bible is not literature as such. Any Literature has an author, and God himself gave us Bilia. Therefore, the Bible does not belong to any kind of literature, so there is no need to choose between the Bible and the Lord of the Rings. For me, the best book is the Lord of the Rings, but the Bible is naturally closer to the soul. Although many people disagree with me. For example, on my favorite forum on Tolkien's books [thetolkienforum.com] many people objected to me.

Both are equally stupid time-wasters.
And I have read it 3 times just so I can annoy bible-thumpers with contradictory verses (except for the Begats, of course)

The Lord Of The Rings has a big advantage which is also one big disadvantage over the Buy-Babble. In that it is a written text, with an author who intended it to be entertaining, logical and understandable. Where the Buy-Babble had no author, but was edited together by a number of committees, over several centuries, from scraps of many different texts, by many different authors and centuries, some complete and some not, many badly copied and none from originals.

So that if you used LOTR as a holy text then you could be asked. "But is that what Tolkien really meant ?" Whereas with the Bible you can find a part of the text which supports whatever you wish, interpret it how how wish, and then claim that your wishes are sacred perfect and unquestionable , and that is the key to why the Bible is a popular holy book, and LOTR is a popular read.

I Think that it is best not to set up any text written by humans as an infallible god. There is really no difference between the worship of an invisible sky daddy who is perfect and beyond question, and the worship of a text which will soon be seen as perfect and beyond question.

But aren't all infallible gods set up by humans in the first place? An imaginary sky daddy who will support whatever you do, no matter how heinous because it was a construct that came out of your own culture?

@SnowyOwl Quite, it does not matter if your god is a solid natural feature like a volcano, a hand made statue, an invisible mental construction passed on by word of mouth, or a printed text.

the tales of Peter rabbit.

Plenty of valuable lessons to be learned from Beatrice Potter.

@SnowyOwl yes, but that in no way besmirches the work of Uncle Wiggily nor his character. Bugs Bunny tho.....

@hankster Perhaps but it is certainly clear that while Farmer Brown was trying to make a living from his lands, he was also a bit of a cunt.

@SnowyOwl gotta have an antagonistic element.

@hankster Do we really? Why can't we all just learn to get along, like adults instead of adolescents?

@SnowyOwl sometimes it can be a real bad itching, but human nature's evolution can't be overcome by brains.

@hankster Why be so sure when we have never really tried?

@SnowyOwl give it a go.

@hankster Every frickin day, Mate. Sometimes I win, mostly not but I never surrender.

@SnowyOwl there it it is man, the effort. it's a worthy ambition no doubt, never giving up is great, but a break might be in order once in a while. its tough.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:614047
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.