Agnostic.com

9 9

I have two acquaintances and one good friend who cannot stop talking. All three people are quite smart and have much more knowledge than I do however all of them go into unneeded detail and never ever take a breath.

I often listen out of kindness but am beginning to reach my limit. Please offer me some foolproof ways to change the subject and bring other people into the conversations.

Lorajay 9 Aug 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I took a fly swatter to coffee today. We sit by the door and it is full of flies. Every time my knowledgeable friend went into his monologue that included the details of how many eggs his wife cooked for breakfast yesterday as well as today, I swatted an imaginary fly on his shoe. He had to breathe and someone else jumped in.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I never managed that one myself.

You could try interjecting that story you told recently about the younger man. That was quite a gobstopper.

I have two of my work daughters that kept doing this the first 2 years of working under my wings .
I loved them both and they are young , one was 27 at the time and the other 29. Man , non stop talking and non stop interrupting and non stop making it all about them every x .
Now , bcz I care about those ladies and I don’t want them to act like idiots and be a burden at their circles , I had no problem to be brutal .
I told them both at diffent x , “ cut it out mouth “. Stop . Just stop “. And later I told each one y this is something that they need to eliminate . They were young and smart and I wanted to see them to succeed . And success is not just degrees and certifications and money and blah blah . It’s manners and communication w humans . They hated me for about 15 mnt , but both / years later have developed great conversation skills and I see the progress and I am happy for them .
If these people are worthy to u , tell them . If not , avoid and let them be Lora . That’s my humble advice .

I had one friend in particular that behaved that way, and no matter what someone said, she would hijack the topic and start talking about herself.

I imagine it's some type of emotional tick that would make her persist beyond me attempting to disengage several times. As you mentioned, other friends would stop joining us, so I eventually ended the friendship. I wish I could offer a better solution.

You neglected to mention who bestowed upon you the authority to moderate conversations.

Hmm, no one did but I know from experience it would be appreciated.

Try just interrupting, politely

My ex-husband Terry has diarrhea of the mouth. He's a retired teacher.

I just raise my hand. Terry shuts up and calls on me.

What are they talking about, if it is shared interested they have in common, why do you feel you should stop them rather than taking an interest and joining in?

Lol, they are all in separate groups and do not talk to each other but instead talk incessantly when we are in other groups. Some people just don't join us when they see they are there.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:614582
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.