Agnostic.com

2 1

One possible meaning of (human) life, or which came first, bread or beer.

Once in a while I read an outstanding piece in the “Atlantic,” usually by a woman, that really gets me thinking. The “Drinking Alone” essay by Kate Julian was just such a piece. [theatlantic.com] The basic premise was that alcohol fostered community involvement which led to where we are today. In humankinds early day they started eating fermented fruits off the ground and enjoyed the experience it brought.
Some takeaways ”Bonding is necessary to human society, and alcohol has been an essential means of our bonding.” An item was brought up called the Ballmer Peak ”Is booze for programmers like spinach for Popeye? The Ballmer Peak, a reference to Steve Ballmer of Microsoft, holds that imbibing alcohol improves cognitive ability, up to a point–a variation of the Yerkes-Dodson law, which shows a correlation between arousal and performance. Anecdotal evidence suggests that optimal programming occurs about two beers in.” [observer.com]
There’s an interesting bit about how women’s drinking is accelerating and there are products that help them hide their imbibing. One is a BOOZE TAMPON [amazon.com] also ”Although both men and women commonly use alcohol to cope with stressful situations and negative feelings, research finds that women are substantially more likely to do so. And they’re much more apt to be sad and stressed out to begin with: Women are about twice as likely as men to suffer from depression or anxiety disorders—and their overall happiness has fallen substantially in recent decades.”

JackPedigo 9 Aug 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Never understood the attraction to booze. I use to like a buzz but the distance between that nice buzz and blownin' chunks is real small 🙂. I think I've had 1 alcoholic drink in the past year.

You seem to like these Atlantic Articles. This one's worth reading, boozer or not.

@JackPedigo I enjoy the Atlantic but you only get so many free articles a month 🙂. I am thinking about subscribing but the thing is there is just so much free stuff to read on line and not enough time paying for a subscription and not getting to it would make me nuts. Which on some days is a short walk. 🙂

@silverotter11 I didn't realize you couldn't open this. I kept giving the magazine to a friend and she like it so much she got her own subscription. Now I have lots of extras. I wonder if I could copy the article in a word format and send it.

If women are more prone to suffer from depression how does that square with the fact that more men commit suicide than women, and the principal cause is depression or alcohol addiction?

Maybe women are better able to handle the depression. We all know what pussies men are lol.

@JackPedigo That’s so true when it comes to suffering pain…your threshold is very low compared to ours!

@Marionville I think it's an individual thing. A friend fell off a ladder and crashed into some rocks. He broke shoulder and arm and calmly walked to the house and told his wife he thinks they should go to the doctor. She said he has a very high tolerance for pain. Later he was telling me about his youngest daughter and her love of soccer. She play a game and then the next day played another. He asked her why she did so poorly the next day and she said her broken arm was getting in the way. Seems over a period of years she had many broken bones. Sounds like a genetic thing to me. I would think of it as a psychological thing.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:615358
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.