Agnostic.com

7 6

The Meaning Of Life

First off, I'm a existential nihilist in a lot of ways. Life in and of itself is objectively meaningless. We only give it our own subjective or existential meanings. There is no absolute morality for all humans everywhere either making me also a moral nihilist. While many cultures have their own ideas on morality, they're all specific to those cultures. I follow secular humanist ethics and liberal secular ethics, not because I view them as an absolute, objective morality for all humans everywhere on this planet, but because I have selected them as my primary human value system. I also have a somewhat existential nihilistic view on life. I view humans as just another animal, not that much different than a chimp or wolf or dolphin. Everything we do is inherently selfish, whether we deny this fact or know about it or not. And all of our emotions eventually come back to our carnal base urges and biological drives and desires. For example, love is just really a form of our desire to reproduce. Earth isn't always a really happy place to live in, because all life revolves around death as all living organisms literally have to kill to survive. Carnivorous animals have to kill other animals to survive. Herbivorous animals have to kill plants to survive. Our life literally relies on the death of other organisms to live. I also don't think that we have free will, just based on what we know about our brains. In the grand scheme of cosmic existence there is no such thing as a objective meaning or purpose to life. Life is what you make of it subjectively for yourself or what others subjectively make it out to be for themselves, in fact only humans assign meaning and purpose to their lives, but there is no grander purposes or meanings for life than what we make it to be for ourselves. People make up their own meaning for life. It's as Richard Dawkins would say the universe we all observe has exactly the properties we would expect if there was no design, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

AtheistForLife 4 Aug 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I see nothing nihilist in your beliefs. They are simply existential.

Meaning of a word can be found in a dictionary that records accepted usages.

From one google search Oxford dictionary:
Life: the condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death.

Moral are objective observation of a person's behavior with knowledge of good and evil and arbitrary rules.

Word Level 8 Aug 15, 2021

You lost me at existential nihilist.

@AtheistForLife no shit, Sherlock!

If you have not read it you may find La Nausea by Jean Paul Sartre an interesting novel.

After rejecting the concept of a deity, I made the conscious choice decades ago to "believe" in the pursuit of the well-being of Humanity, the biosphere and life in general. This included support for the U.N., the E.U., "Open Societies" and open borders. Then, the Arab Spring occurred, precipitating mass immigration into Europe and the rest of the world from the Middle East. After a few months it became apparent that my "liberal" (leftist) viewpoints were supporting the propagation of the cruel, oppressive, imperialist ideology of Islam.

While remaining a "classical liberal", I now support nationalism and patriotism. If leftism comes to grips with and addresses the scourge of imperialist Islam, I might resume my leftist viewpoints. Islam has achieved a Darwinist life of its own, independent of its followers, whom it "uses up" in support of its own propagation.

Each human has the right to pursue a meaningful life. This includes the followers of "the prophet", who are oppressed, betrayed and enslaved by their indoctrinated ideology. My approach is to hate the ideology, but to love the followers. We need to help and encourage the followers of Islam to apostatize, freeing themselves and humanity from the evil disaster of Islam.

Apologies to @AtheistForLife for my redirection of your excellent post.

You say you have selected secular humanist ethics and liberal secular ethics as your primary human value system.
Can you state a reason for your having done so?

You: “I follow secular humanist ethics and liberal secular ethics, not because I view them as an absolute, objective morality for all humans everywhere on this planet, but because I have selected them as my primary human value system.”

Also You: “I also don't think that we have free will, just based on what we know about our brains.”

If you don’t have free will, who or what did the selecting? If it was selected for you without your input, how can “People make up their own meaning for life.”? If it is all selected for you, how is that not objective instead of subjective?

skado Level 9 Aug 15, 2021

@AtheistForLife
I’m not sure how that addresses my question. If there is no free will, how do people “select” a value system?

@AtheistForLife
I’m sorry but that sounds like double-speak.
Seems to me we are either doing the selecting, or it is done for us. Either morals are the result of our choosing (free will) or they are chosen for us by factors external to our conscious control, in which case they are objective.

@skado You wrote “Either morals are the result of our choosing (free will) ....” and you added

“or they are chosen for us by factors external to our conscious control,..”

I ask who or what are these external factors? Are they other people who chose them? Or are they impersonal circumstances that made them inevitable?

@yvilletom
For the sake of this discussion, it could be either, both, or something else entirely. My point being, I don’t see how a person could claim there’s no free will, but we can still will ourselves a moral code out of nothing but... free will.

@yvilletom
My guess is, we do have a measure of free will, however small, and it can contribute to the decision-making. But morality, is mostly determined by a combination of genetic inheritance coupled with the cultural consensus of the society in which we spent our developmental years. Nobody makes it all up from scratch. We have a very limited menu to choose from. People who deviate too far from that menu are punished, ostracized or killed. In this sense, there is an “objective” morality, mostly external to the full command of our conscious will.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:616089
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.