Agnostic.com

7 6

LINK WTF are purple carrots and where did they come from?

"Carrots were domesticated in Afghanistan and spread to the eastern Mediterranean about a thousand years ago. They reached Europe and China in the 1300s. By the early 1500s, orange carrots could be found in Italy, Spain, and Germany. But purple, yellow, red, and white varieties persisted in Asia and the Middle East... One study found that, compared to orange carrots, purple carrots contain twice the amount of alpha and beta carotene, which the body converts into vitamin A."

AnonySchmoose 8 Aug 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Most of vegetables that we find are one sub-sub-sub-sub[.....]-sub-species.
You would be amazed how many shapes, colours and size, tastes etc of corn exists in the Andean countries for example.
Industrial agriculture is needed to feed so much people, but we miss a lot of variety in the process.
That is why we should try to keep some small farming with some diversity of food. And a plus that we get safer in case of a plague.

Like with banana that most of our banana flavored stuff don't actually taste like banana because they actually taste like an extinct (due to plague) species of banana.

Yes, crop diversity is key to sustainable agriculture.
In Hawaii we have a variety of bananas and plantains.

"Domestic bananas have long since lost the seeds that allowed their wild ancestors to reproduce – if you eat a banana today, you're eating a clone. Each banana plant is a genetic clone of a previous generation." [allianceforscience.cornell.edu]

"Lady Finger bananas, also known as baby bananas, are sweeter and smaller than Cavendish bananas. They're usually around three inches in length and feature a creamy texture and sweet flavor with notes of honey." [blog.ediblearrangements.com]

"There are over 100 types of bananas in Hawaii, all tasting different." [huffpost.com]

@AnonySchmoose I remember from my childhood in Brazil we had a lot of different bananas, now In Norway is always the same boring one...

Fascinating, I was completely unaware of these
Thanks

You're welcome... color in life is great fun.

All varieties of color carrots are now widely available in U.S..mmmm carrots..

Does 'mmmm carrots' mean 'pleasure carrots' ?
Are color carrots like super m&m's ?

@AnonySchmoose hmmmm, maybe..though I'm sure they'd work in a pinch..🥕🌽🍆🥒🍌

Pretty cool

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 23, 2021

Cool and very delish too....

@AnonySchmoose roasting is best with color varietals,as streaming tends to drain color out..

@Charlene
Yes... roasting maybe enhances flavor more as well.

I am told that wild carrots are poisonous, and that some brave person long ago, must have found a rare genetic mutation, which was not, and had the foresight and courage to eat and grow it.

Wild parsnips are poisonous.

You were told incorrectly then, wild carrots are perfectly edible.

@Fernapple
The discovery of a non-poisonous wild carrot mutation would make for a good story.

@barjoe Could be that I am getting mixed up with those.

@barjoe, @Druvius Could be I am getting mixed up, see Barjoe above.

@Fernapple Not only are the roots poisonous, the leaves are poisonous to the touch. [bygl.osu.edu]

@Fernapple, @Druvius Wild carrot is poisonous.[mda.state.mn.us] Apparently if you venture to, part of the root may be edible. I wouldn't. [eattheweeds.com]

@barjoe The links you posted says it's mildly poisonous to livestock. That's all. In fact they include recipes for eating it.

@Druvius I read the link. I'm not Euell Gibbons, but you enjoy.

The color allows for something interesting and different to have in a salad.

Purple potatoes are interesting, different and taste super good.

I had mini purple carrots in a salad a couple weeks ago.
Delish...

@AnonySchmoose I love purple mashed taters ..or purple scalloped taters..

@Charlene
[cookingontheweekends.com]

"What do they taste like?

The flavor of an Okinawan sweet potato (Hawaiian Sweet Potato) is mildly sweet with notes of honey. Slightly more dense than other potatoes, when mashed with a couple added ingredients, the result is super rich and creamy."

@AnonySchmoose the carrots taste like carrots, the potatoes Are denser..and as stated, slightly sweeter..in short, yummmmm

Orange carrots have beta-carotene. Purple carrots have anthocyanins. Hence the color difference, same thing that makes purple potatoes purple.

Yes, I've tasted all colors of carrots.
I'd like to see purple carrot juice.
A drawback is that the purple stains things.

@AnonySchmoose I really like parsnips, which I used to think were white carrots, but they aren't.

@barjoe
I enjoy parsnips too.

@barjoe I love parsnips in my stew! I also used to think of them as white carrots, but definitely with a different taste!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:617680
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.