Agnostic.com

3 4

Covid infection protection waning in double jabbed

[bbc.com]

xenoview 8 Aug 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not surprising, with a rapidly mutating virus, which, even if unchanging, does not induce very long term immunity following natural infection. Still, it would be nice to be able to avoid the need for hospitalization, which these vaccines appear to provide.

Zster Level 8 Aug 25, 2021

Mother Nature is relentless (it will kill us all eventually).

From the link.

This study once again illustrates why we need to get used to Covid circulating - this is not a virus that's going to go away.

The vaccines do not work like they do for measles which provide life-long immunity. Immunity against Covid was always expected to wane.

And another factor to consider is that repeated exposure to the virus is likely to increase the risk of a breakthrough infection - the increased likelihood over time of infection post-jabbing may not be all related to waning immunity.

Whatever the cause though, experts have been clear we should expect to be repeatedly infected over our lifetimes.

The important thing is that each re-infection should be milder as the vaccines remain highly effective at preventing serious illness.

What the vaccines have effectively done is taken the edge off the virus - given our immune system a head-start so those early infections are milder than they would have been for most.

So, I'm "double jabbed" with Moderna, but the article doesn't report on the percentage of waning protection for that, and likely also differs with age.

So, since I'm 4+ months past my second "jab" I'll just guess that I'm likely at 75% now and that will go down maybe to 50% by the 8th month, so a booster will be in order for me at that time. I'm glad I continue to be careful with distance and masking in close quarters for now.

Interesting article - thanks for posting!

I’ve always understood that we’d be likely to need a booster jab this Autumn…and possibly annually afterwards in the same way that they offer flu’ jabs every year.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:618109
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.