Agnostic.com

4 5

What in the name of all things sane have I done to deserve this?
Just heard from Evangeloon that he needs to raise a mere 2,580 dollars Australian to send to a University in America so he can become a Certified Preacher of the Christian Religion and give Sermons at the local Baptist Church that he now attends, well did UNTIL LOCKDOWN happened around here a few weeks ago.
What he has requested, not in a very nice and undemanding manner imo, is THAT I act as his Tutor since I am the only person he knows who has a Doctorate in Theology and Comparative Modern Religions.
Guess what, I declined, refused most vehemently and repeatedly said a definite and very LOUD NO.
I suppose, by his shocked expression, I've dropped below the bottom of his friends list by now.

Triphid 9 Aug 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Gee, that's too bad, I'm sure you'll miss him......

Yep, just like I'd miss having a extra hole in my head.

I don't understand what the use of "Tutor" means here. Do you mean 'Referee" as in give a reference? Also how would one person knowing he has a Doctorate etc be helpful? Surely a credential has to be shown? I don't understand this. Perhaps I lack context.

I suspect it's a usage that is common in the UK, but perhaps not in Australia. As an educator there I and those around me would recognise the word "tutor" as being largely synonymous with the word "teacher", but typically with small groups of anything from one to 10 people.

@anglophone yes, I know. My first job was a tutor at university, teaching history. I don't understand how one can 'act as a tutor' for someone, except in the sense of teaching them, and I don't get the meaning here. I simply ask for clarification.
... rereading it, I now deduce that Triphid has these qualifications, which I find astonishing given his views on religion. Didn't know that.

@David1955 Aha! 🙂

@David1955 Well, given that I was, I am and always have been an Atheist since childhood then what better way to know and understand more and have an in depth knowledge of what the Jesus Addicts are trying to sell than to actually study it to the fullest possible extent?

@Triphid guess so. Know thy enemy, I suppose.

@David1955 As an ancient Asian Scholar once stated, " Know your enemy better than he knows himself and you WILL always have HIM at the disadvantage,"

"Dear Neighbour,

"I am touched by your faith in my ability to teach Theology. My fees are modest, being only $1,000/hour, payable in advance, with specialties such as Baptist attracting a mere $300/hour on top.

"I only accept students who can quote the KJV Bible verbatim, though I offer an assessment for this gratis.

"Should you wish to pursue this offer, please come to my front door and shout "Hail Mary!" three times for admission.

"Warn regards,
"Andrew Shyster."

Oh good grief, whatever next!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:619210
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.