Agnostic.com

9 11

"Be Prepared to Evacuate" the Public Safety Alert text said.

"There is an active brushfire in Pitcher Canyon, Wenatchee," a Public Safety Alert was texted to me this afternoon. "Stay out of the area and prepare to evacuate." I live on the west side of town close to the Cascade Mountain foothills.

The fire was human-caused. No lightning.

Scurried around piling by the front door: files (legal papers, insurance and keepsakes), family photos, checkbook, names and addresses, laptop and charger, phone charger, toiletries, clothes, jackets, hiking boots, flute, music stand, sheet music, running shoes, medicine basket, notepads, pens, daypack, etc. Filled the computer case, briefcase and suitcases. Ready to carry to the car.

Taped a reminder inside the front door: "Get sleeping bag and inflatable mattress pad from storage. Bring pillows." I planned to stack oil paintings in the backseat separated by towels.

Five US Forest Service planes and helicopters flew over my home to dump water and fire retardant on the blaze. Planes flew in a line to the Columbia River to scoop more water. Zoomed to the fire again. It was like watching ballet.

The pilots beautifully coordinated their flight paths. Working hard hours, they relentlessly knocked down the fire until dark. Little by little, the fire subsided.

The fire burned 220 acres and is still an active situation, according to the Wenatchee World newspaper. Three hundred homes are threatened. The splendid photo of a plane dropping red fire retardant is by Don Seabrook, Wenatchee World photographer.

Hours later, I put everything away. That was scary. What a relief.

Thank you, firefighters and pilots! I love you!

p.s. Forgot to pack cameras and jewelry. Need to print my evacuation list. A packing list in order of priority is helpful when rattled.

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It can happen anywhere. Since the beginning of summer most of Western Washing has been under a no fire zone mandate. No one is allowed to burn anything outside. Most of the islands, especially Lopez (we are the flattest of all the islands so farming and logging were especially practiced here), have been heavily logged and almost all the forest land on Lopez (including my property) has 2nd and third growths and are extremely susceptible for fires. One person has actually started a business by helping people learn to make their homes more fireproof. I have a metal roof and hard i-board siding. The woods are to the North of me with prevailing winds from the south. Keeping flammable material away from the house is critical. Still there is a concern.

So glad you are safe, hope it stays that way. 🤗

Glad you are okay. Hope they catch the person who caused the fire.

@xenoview

"The fire is believed to have been sparked by a man welding metal," a friend on Facebook wrote.

Living as I do in bushfire country, I know what you went though. I am glad you're okay.

@anglophone

Thank you. I appreciate your compassion and understanding.

Sounds like a very close call, and I hope you can be confident in relaxing now, hoping you are still safe. What emergency responders do for us amazing, and nearly beyond comprehension, and they deserve every drop of appreciation from us!

I'm glad to hear everything is ok.

Had to once. Fire in an orange grove.
I was scrambling to get the necessities, and my dog grabbed ahold of my pants leg, and began to pull me out of the house.
She clearly didn't think I was moving fast enough.
Luckily, it was extinguished quickly.
There was no damage.

Glad you're okay.

I'm fortunate enough to live in a concrete house, and I have a large fire safe that can hold all the important files. We don't have forest fires here because we don't have forests. We DO have hurricanes, but we've never had to evacuate during the almost 10 years I've lived here.

Nope, I've never had to evacuate.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:619251
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.