Agnostic.com

4 6

LINK Hurricane Ida damage: Entergy, Cleco assess power outages

Surviving Ida Part 2:

Day 3. Man it's hot!!! With everyone in the metro area without power, the Louisiana heat and humidity is back with a vengeance- temps in the 90s, heat index into the 100s. The whole metro area is also under a boil water order. A local supermarket opened today, so I'm off first thing tomorrow to try and get more ice. They are saying that restoring power will be "a marathon, not a sprint". They said 8 transmission lines are down. One of them is in the Mississippi. Some areas may be without power for a month (!!!!). Right now we're trying to get money together for a generator big enough to run the fridge and a window AC unit. My poor little 5 month old granddaughter has a bit of a heat rash already. Last night we were inundated with the Louisiana state bird at dusk- we had both the front and back doors open and the mosquitoes accepted the invitation! I hung sheets in the doors and that worked to keep them out so once we swatted the ones that were in, we were good. We also got a nice little rain yesterday evening that helped cool things off. We didn't get that today, so as soon as i dried off from a short cool shower to cool down, i immediately started sweating again. My daughter and i already have a running list of things we need to get to fill a hurricane supply box. With climate change, storms like Ida will start to become the usual rather than the extreme, I'm afraid...

JonnaBononna 7 Sep 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Living anywhere in this country has become a crapshoot at best. How one can survive in those conditions is beyond me...i admire your strength and fortitude and hope you find relief soon.

Thanks. Truth be told, I'm struggling hard today...

@JonnaBononna if you think you might want to move...I highly suggest NM...you won't miss the humidity and you will never sleep without a blanket...just a friendly thought.

I know an idiot with a Sharpie that can make it so it didn't make landfall at all...

Considering long term , it might make more sense to go the extra mile and get a slightly larger generator or possibly even some solar panels ?

It would, but the one who had been able to work now can't because of the storm. If we can confirm FEMA will reimburse the cost of a generator, we will do that

Well thank goodness for small favors. The levee held.

This storm didn't hit New Orleans dead on like Katrina did. It landed near a town called Grand Isle, and moved northwest from there.

@JonnaBononna Do you think the levee would be breached by a direct hit from a Cat 5, which neither Ida or Katrina was?

@barjoe I mean, it could be. I guess it depends on how well they rebuilt it.

@JonnaBononna we are having massive tornados action in Philadelphia and surrounding countries as we speak.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:619674
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.