Agnostic.com

17 6

I was just contacted by someone who said that they were from Amazon and that someone had used my account to purchase $1499.00 Iphone. This call sounded legit until I got to the point where they wanted into ,y checking account. I guess I was in the middle of a brain fart as I let them do this. Further into the conversation they wanted to put $300.00 into my account and instead of the $300.00 ,$3000.00 was supposedly transferred into the account. I checked on my phone, something the person said would mess up every thing. It did not show any activity. On the screen in front of me they showed a page that looked like my credit union account and it said that $2000.00 had been added. It was at this point that I realized I was being scammed. At this point I unplugged the computer from the power source.
So far, it has been about an hour, no money has been moved either way. I want to know if they could have downloaded everything on my harddrive. Anyone out there gone through this? I would really like to know what happens after this point? Is there any way to tell what they have taken from the computer. I did allow them to use AnyDesk to access this computer. How much shit am I in. Let me have it I should have known better.
Thanks for any help. Dale

dalefvictor 8 Sep 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

During the past month, I got a bogus 'Amazon' call too, claiming a large purchase had been made recently, and asking if I make this purchase? I guess my question about what was purchased made them hang up. I checked my account and no purchase like that was made.

Another thing, don't answer calls you don't recognize. If they leave a message listen carefully before you call back, and google the number before you call back. I block numbers if they call more than once and don't leave a message. I have blocked hundreds of numbers.

its a scam

I get three or four calls a week about problems with my Amazon account. Which is very odd, because I don't have an Amazon account.

Being in business, I also get about three invoices a month, from companies I have never heard of and certainly never traded with.

I think you should contact your bank for advice as soon as possible.

I get about 3 of these a day....just hang up!
Just like Social Security, NO ONE from Amazon (or SS) will ever call you, for any reason!
If I were you I would call my bank, and the 3 major Credit Bureaus Immediately! (Like, right now!!!!!) After doing this, shut down your cell phone as well, pretty much all info goes fluidly thru the internet between them.
The Credit Bureaus can put a block on all your accounts, & your bank can cancel your credit cards & issue new ones. There are 24/7 phone numbers on the backs of your cards!
When you get the new cards, change Paypal, Amazon, etc to the new cards. (And don't forget to update any car insurance or whatever "auto pays" you may have set up)

If they have gotten into your computer IMO there is NO measure too extreme to take to protect yourself, and do them all as quickly as possible!!!!
Your State may have one or more hotlines where you can get more suggestions, as may your bank.
Good luck!

I get those frequently I just block them

HANG UP THE MOMENT A CALLER WHOSE VOICE YOU DON’T RECOGNIZE DOESNT SAY YOUR NAME, OR
— TALKS ABOUT YOUR HOUSE WHEN YOU DON’T OWN ONE,
ET CETERA.

A robo caller has a list of phone numbers, probably no names. If you say anything you will hear a pause that’s too long and then the first words of a script.

They may have all your info..time to change everything..Dude,Amazon wouldn't call you, you'd get a Text Message alerting you..and always listen to what they're saying..damn Dale, good luck..call your Bank, if you haven't already, and cancel that credit card..

Anyone who calls or emails me I assume is a scammer. If I have an issue with any account my bank or company, I contact them directly.

Tejas Level 8 Sep 6, 2021

Amazon does not call you. They send emails and only if there is a problem with your order such as what you want isn't available or to let you know it will be delayed.

Change your password on your account immediately. Call your bank NOW and tell them about this. They can change your account number. Never EVER provide information to anyone who calls you. ALWAYS say you will call them to discuss it…and do not use any phone number they give you; make sure you know how to contact anyone with whom you have an account. On Amazon, you can request an immediate phone call via Customer Support. Watch your bank account closely until you get an account change.

When I get those calls I immediately go to my Amazon account and see if there's been any orders if there have not been any orders I block the person and ignore them.

I would cheerfully poke the eyes out of such people and castrate them at the same time, without any anaesthetic.

That's barbaric

@Tejas It might be barbaric but it might be fun to just watch them squirm.

@Tejas wimp!

@Tejas What those vile little shits do to their victims is itself quite barbaric. I make no apology for wishing to give them their just desserts.

@AnneWimsey bite me

I'm not an expert on this but AnyDesk is a remote access application so yes the scammer could possibly have accessed data on your computer. So, then it just depends on what is on your computer that could be of use to them. Credit card numbers? Tax records?

Giving them your checking account number is not a great idea but I don't believe that alone would allow someone to remove money from your account. Keep in mind that checks you write have your full bank account number and routing number on them and multiple people likely see that check after you write it. Potentially, the scammer could use your account number to make a fake check but cashing a fake check, especially out of state, probably isn't all that easy.

You should update all of your passwords, especially for online banking and credit cards and maybe even get your credit cards replaced. Monitor your various accounts for suspicious activity as well.

Did they have an Indian accent? You let them take remote access to your computer? They uploaded some kind of malware. Change all your passwords, do it from your phone, leave the computer off. After you've changed them, open up the computer and clear all your cookies. You might have gotten lucky. Did you call your bank and credit card company?

They aren't getting in by the electricity, they are coming in over the Internet. Check your bank account first thing in the morning, or even tonight, and put a freeze on it if you can. Maybe call your bank customer service. I'm sorry, there are all sorts of scammers out there. I work for a Credit Union, we hear from customers every day about fraud, stolen identities. It is rampant, and they target senior citizens.

Banks have 24-hour fraud lines! Don’t wait for morning.

I pulled the power to stop the computer now, had I shut it down it would have taken much longer. The Internet connection is wireless.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:620847
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.