Agnostic.com

25 3

How do you handle the guilt put on you by religious people?

How do you handle the guilt that religious people try to put on you about the afterlife, or heaven/hell?

DesireSmith 3 Oct 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Guilt? For what, living life how I see fit instead of someone else?

just follow your road

Although I live in Kentucky, I don't run into this problem much because I am in academia. But when I was in my 20s, I ran into it more. Honestly if it comes up, I turn it around. If I am wrong about the existence of the Christian God, I still would not want to spend an eternity with such a narcissistic deity who condemns some to eternal damnation for failing to subscribe to his fan club. Under the circumstances, going to hell would be preferable - an expression of solidarity with those who have been unjustly damned. We'd be in good company.

I've said to more than one interlocutor "if you're right, I'll tell god to his face he's a cruel, unjust being who I will NEVER bow to."

This usually ends the conversation, because the person can't believe I could be so full of venom and hate for their puny god.

I don't ever feel guilty for living my life, I'm no less moral than anyone who believes in God and if they think that my punishment for not accepting Jesus as being a God warrents my eternal suffering in Hell then I'm more moral than they are. Just saying....

What guilt? Since when? If there's no such thing as an afterlife, and no such things as heaven and hell, how can you feel guilt because of them? And since when did anyone have the right to expect anything from you with respect to any of that nonsense? You'll never see anyone in heaven or hell, or any other form of afterlife unless they exist in the first place, and good luck deciding which afterlife is the 'real' one, let alone how it's supposed to work. Once you're dead, your body decays, all the synapses of your brain stop, your brain decays, etc. You still exist as a memory in other people's minds for a while, and in the historical record maybe, but beyond that, your cells have degraded and have gone to feed new pieces in the great Web of Life, worms and beetles and birds and such. Maybe sometimes I feel a little bad about reminding my ageing relatives of the stark reality that death actually is, when they really like their fantasies, but I can't imagine letting anyone make me feel guilty about not accepting their pet afterlife fantasies.

The same way I deal with the paranoia that Zeus may disguise himself to impregnate the next woman I date. It's not easy to do, but try to remember, mythology is mythology, whether it's in Sanskrit or Times New Roman.

Fell off my chair - LOL

I don't; because I don't feel guilty.

The guilt i get is from the sadness i cause older family members. I want them to be happy so I avoid promoting atheist beliefs around them. Not worth it. Non-family, couldn't care less and their ignorance will most likely be pointed out.

I know the feeling. I may always quote Alfred Neumann, but deep inside I'm a closet apologist

What guilt

i don't have any guilt because their views hold no weight, its make believe until there is tangible proof which has very little chance of ever happening so what should i feel guilty of?

I don't have to "handle guilt" when I don't feel guilt. When people try to label me to comfort their inability to approach or relate to me, they usually do so by trying to guilt me. I typically respond with, "you are the one who is always talking about the devil; I think you may be closer to the devil than your god." Usually shuts them up or they "disown me" entirely. Either way, win/win.

I don't take it on. Period.

Doesn't bother me anymore, but that only took about 50 years.

I can only feel guilty if I allow myself to feel guilty. Nobody can 'make' me feel guilty. If someone doesn't like that I'm not christian, that's their problem, not mine. I'm comfortable with it. If they aren't, that's something they need to work on within themselves. 🙂

I let it wash off like water off a duck's back. And even if it isn't true, I usually say something like "since I'm an atheist, then I can't have a conscience."

I ignore them, explain that I believe Nature controls the earth, and also that I will not try to force my disbelief on them, if they will not try to force their religion on me.

Why would you care, its their imagination. Plus if someone has to believe that there is some kind of afterlife/hell to do good in this one actual life they have they probably aren't a great person to begin with.

I don't let their guilt get to me. I give my reasons why I don't believe, using science and reason - they choose to not listen and would rather remain stuck in a backwards belief, that's their problem, not mine.

By not letting me guilt them. I understand why most believe, but they never seem to understand why I don't.

What guilt? Why should I feel guilty?

Never felt any guilt. I am the only non Christian in my entire family and they have attempted to make me feel guilty, but I would just get annoyed with them and would call them out on being disrespectful..

The words of people who would try and shame me into following their beliefs,have no effect on me at all. I don't give a pinch of owl dung for their guilt trips.

I don't give a flying fuck what religious idiots think of my choices. I'll live my life my way.

it doesn't work on me

I guess the worst thing for me is when experiencing some horrific tragedy- your kid dies of cancer, your brother commits suicide, your father gets shot, and you say it is gods will. Maybe it is comforting, but why would a loving god choose certain people for horrific pain and suffering and not others. So non-sensical and inhumane.I mean I would never argue my belief in those situations, but still

My language immediately degenerates to words they don't want to hear.

It's amazing how quickly people back off when confronted by scorn, contempt, ridicule and the likes.

It's important to note that the context is key. I will repeatedly tell such people "I don't do guilt". I repeat that statement over and over until they stop with the guilt thing.

It usually cuts the conversation off short.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:621
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.