Agnostic.com

2 3

Apart from the publisher you'll love this photo Joe.

Recently seen shared on fbuk a photo supposedly of several millions protesting against the USSR -

Ping @Barjoe - just to prove that I love you Joe, here is a photo of many sharing your opinion. I hope that solidarity makes you feel good.

FrayedBear 9 Sep 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

An interesting item, by an Ottowa academic, just released on Russian citizens views

Do Russians hunger for Western-style government? Polling suggests most would favour return of Soviet system over liberal democracy [rt.com]

It would seem that Russians long for a strong man model of leadership, almost as though it were part of their DNA. Whether it be a tzar, a Communist-Stalinist dictator or the uninterrupted presence of the “democratically elected” mob boss that is Vladimir Putin, Russia’s experience with self governance in the style of a pluralistic western democracy is practically nil.

@p-nullifidian isn't that part projection? Americans do not want to be told of anything that will affect their entitlement to rob, steal & cheat to their expected lifestyle which means they want governments that will do the same to them as well as lie about it to the citizens?

@FrayedBear Perhaps I’m projecting, but it’s hard for me to understand how anyone would prefer a return to the days of Stalin, or even the perestroika of Gorbachev. Reform? By all means! But to return? That would be regressive, and people just might find out that the good old days weren’t that good after all.

What a fascinating period in history was the late 80’s as we watched one by one the Communist government collapses of the Warsaw Pact (Soviet Bloc) nations. They fell like dominos, while Soviet divisions withdrew from Eastern Europe, Germany was reunited, and at last we witnessed the collapse of the Soviet Union itself. From Poland’s Solidarity movement to the independence of these Baltic States, Gorbachev, despite having immense power to do so, did nothing to stop what was happening.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:622112
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.