Agnostic.com

9 3

LINK A Vaccine Or This Marriage: Conspiracy Theories Are Tearing Couples Apart | HuffPost

So I’m definitely not alone in this, but doesn’t make me feel better.

bragadm 5 Sep 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If they don't have compassion for each other then better off apart

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 19, 2021

My daughter Claire, 31, refuses to get the COVID-19 vaccine.

"The vaccine was rushed without enough research," she said. "I don't allow anyone to do something to my body against my will. You taught me that."

"I was talking about sexual abuse, not a lifesaving vaccine," I replied. "Of course the vaccine was rushed. It has FDA approval and has been tested on millions of people. Only four out of a million people get serious side effects. That's better than most vaccines."

"Claire, you had all of your child and teen vaccines without any side effects."

"As long as you are unvaccinated, I cannot visit your house or remove my mask around you," I told her. "At age 68, I have severe asthma. I refuse to risk my health and life."

She called me "cruel and selfish." Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners are out.

Claire has become irrational. She is manifestly incapable of thinking analytically, critically, dispassionately or cogently. You have my sympathy and support.

@anglophone

Thank you. I appreciate your support.

I'm so sorry. Your daughter's excuses have all been debunked. I hope she changes her mind before she succumbs to the virus or makes someone else dangerously ill. I know I'd never forgive myself if I killed someone when I could have kept from doing so.

Can I list the comments from my wife about this from memory?

1. The vaccine is a kill shot
  2. Nothing you can tell me or teach me will change my mind
  3. The government wants to control us
  4. This is all part of the beast system
  5. It’s never going back to normal
  6. They want to bring on a new world order
  7. Biden’s and dems mandates are exactly what I was warning you about
  8. What will you do when they knock on the door to force the “jab” on us?
  9. I will refuse it so they will take me away to a FEMA camp.

There’s more. I’m getting angry typing this so I’ll stop because this is enough for you to understand.

Your wife has become demented.

Honestly, I couldn't live with that mentality. Not even for a day.

The assholes who spread the misinformation of conspiracy theories and exploit the gullibility of the ill-informed are a menace to society. I note that there is at least one such person on this site, and I regard @Admin as being asleep at the wheel when it comes to discharging his obligations to society.

I think we all know who you are referring to and, yes, there is no admin. policing that, but I think it is more a matter of them being absent rather than choosing to just let this member spread his lies about Covid.

In the past couple years I have run across a few people that have actually experienced this. They have been married to someone who either became a Trumper, an anti-vaxer or both, and it killed their marriage. They said, rightly so, that there was no reasoning with or changing them, same as if you had a spouse that suddenly became severely and permanently mentally ill, but refused to get treatment for it. In cases like this, I feel the traditional marriage vows of "in sickness and in health" don't apply, because the person is not willing to get help or do anything to preserve the marriage, so the best you can do is cut your losses and save yourself.

I think that the Covid pandemic has made this worse, as the isolation it has caused many people, as far as having less face to face contact in person, has made it easier for people to get sucked into all the online and media disinformation without any real life interactions with others that might contradict or challenge that misinformation. So people can adopt a new, dysfunctional belief system without any real need to ? or defend it.

Unreal

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 13, 2021

It sounds like divorce is a blessing for some of those people.

Never marry the stupid. Eventually, it will bite you in the ass.

So true, but sometimes people do, esp. if the stupid is also hot-looking at the time they marry them.

Life is crazy.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:622213
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.