Agnostic.com

3 1

More corporate welfare? National Guard to drive school busses in Massachusetts.

[boston.cbslocal.com]

Beowulfsfriend 9 Sep 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well, I can see how this is convenient. It will definitely eliminate the driver shortages. Here in NC nearly 25% of school districts face huge driver shortages causing drivers to make several trips to pick up other routes just to get kids to school.

Do you think this will become more likely with Biden's vaccine mandate? I think yes. Big yes. Some people will absolutely not get the shot

How do you figure it's "corporate welfare" to get kids to school???!!
It is not even clear from the article whether or not these National Guard people are Volunteering, although I would not be surprised.

The companies don't offer enough money to hire drivers. And, according to Militarydotcom, the government is paying. Anytime the guard is called up, they get paid - the guys may be volunteering to take the duty, but are paid their military salary, based on rank.

@Beowulfsfriend they are paid sitting around or on trumped-up "manuevers", At least this is giving back to Their communities.

@AnneWimsey They only get paid when called up for actions, or on their one weekend a month training. The Guard is not a monthly check.

@Beowulfsfriend doesn't this last post directly contradict your first one? What am I not getting here?

@AnneWimsey The government is calling them up for duty, payying them by their rank and time. The bus companies still get paid by the schools and don't have to pay for drivers, thus avoiding raising wages to get people to work for them.

@Beowulfsfriend I see your reasoning, thanks, but aren't the bus companies going to be billed/have the costs passed on to them? Why not?

@AnneWimsey According to military.com, the government is paying, and no mention of the costs being defrayed. That would be up to the state.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:622325
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.