Agnostic.com

14 19

Carl Sagan's Thoughts About the Illegality of Cannabis

"The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world."

He shares more of his insights under the subtitle: Essay as "Mr. X" (1969)

[en.wikiquote.org]

~ Carl Sagan

VictoriaNotes 9 Apr 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"A government cannot legalize an act. It can either make it illegal or leave it alone. To talk about legalization is to imply a relationship between a superior and inferior between a parent and a child. The parentalization of authority and the infantalization of everybody else." Thomas Szasz

I am of the understanding that Indian Hemp, Canabis Sativa, or Marijuana, was first made illegal in the US during the late 30's in order to help make the profits of two companies, Dow chemicals, and Du Pont chemicals, so that they could sell their new products Nylon, and Viscose, or Rayon for making fine fabric like stockings without the competition from Indian hemp. This prohibition was relaxed during WW11, in order to produce enough fabric for parachutes which were needed for the war effort. And as soon as the war was over the prohibition was reinstated. The drug values were never the reason, only the excuse for the prohibition.

@VictoriaNotes alot of that looked pretty fun. Lets not forget Reefer Madness,IT was always fun to go the movies stoned and watch that

CBD oil is being slowly recognized throughout the medical community for its healing properties. And it's shipped legally to all 50 states due to its lack of THC. Maybe it will lay ground for recreational herb in states still lagging on that issue. (I'm thankful to live in Washington State.) Also, as the statistics on tax revenues come out, people will see the monetary benefits. As for Sagan's essay, well... I just use herb to relax. However I do agree it makes one more contemplative and certainly less aggressive. I'd rather have stoners couch-locked in their homes than angry drunks terrorizing the highways or beating their wives.

Take away the profit from the drugs and the criminal will leave .

That is true. In the Netherlands there are coffeeshops in every city where you can buy hasj and cannabis. Untill some years ago we, Belgians, could go there as well to buy some. but yet only dutch people are alowed to buy something in those shops. So here in Belgium the whole market is in the hands of illegal dealers again. That is not nice at all. For me it means that I didn't smoke anymore since about half a year. Good for my health ofcourse, but sometimes i mis the social atmosphere and "air" from the dutch coffeeshops.

Criminal will leave? Did the mafia left when "prohibition" ended? I guess you are not in america. Criminal will leave????

They left the liquor business guess you missed that part of history

Tricky-Dicky Nixon, the old shriveled asshole crook, fucked up a lot of lives with his lies about marijuana.

Never cared much for Sagan, to me he had a holier than thou attitude, like he was talking down to you. Neil deGrasse Tyson, now that's someone I can admire.

@VictoriaNotes Yes but Neil doesn't agree with Sagan's use of mind altering drugs while working in scientific disciplines and I laud him for that.

@VictoriaNotes Good thing Feynman wasn't smoking during the Manhattan Project but I digress. I do not like the fact that people of notoriety, authority or scientists are expounding the use of a hallucinogen, at least till it's not a Federal crime. And really, using 'Hightimes' as an information source?

@VictoriaNotes It was a joke, I could just see the Physicists sneaking to the washroom to smoke. "Hey dude when get thru building this thing we're gonna burn the Japs, I think we should quit building it and go home. Hey man you know I think we ought to tell Stalin how to build one , I mean fair is fair.

He probably had something there. But the musings of an intelligent person are usually lost on people 2ith right minded thinking

I started smoking hasj about fourty years ago. Not daily, just now and then. In the first years it made me feel sad and mentaly closed. I didn't like it to be stoned. But it was a social happening with friends, so I did it. While getting older I began to like and to join hasj, aspecialy becouse I started working in a natural reserve, and making art in wood. I smoked in periods, a week or two, a month nothing, so not continiously. Many of my friends didn't smoke hasj but weed, cannabis. I saw a big difference with them when they were stoned. In most of the cannabis there is much too much THC wich is too heavy for the mind and the body. If cannabis would be legallized there should be a law to regulate the THC level, otherwise it is a kind of harddrug wich is not healthy. But I have to say that there are differences between people; some can smoke a lot without negative results, and others feel very down after smoking one joint.Cannabis and hasj are quite difficult drugs to use, users have to be sober with it.

I think people are getting on board, left and right, for legalization. Chuck Schumer just put forth a bill to decriminalize federally. I know that Cory Booker just sponsored a bill legalizing pot nationwide which Bernie Sanders and Kristen Gillibrand signed on to. John Boehner is on board since he realized he could make money on it. I don’t think we are at nationwide legalization yet but I think we keep getting closer.

Today, 4/20/18, we're closer than we've ever been. I especially like Cory Booker's proposal that Sanders and Gillibrand signed on to, because it provides not only for legalization going forward, but allows for prior marijuana convictions to be expunged.

I agree.

You do know it is legal in this state? We have a woman on island that is doing a brisk business in medicinal marajuana. She just gave me a tincture to help with a stomach issue I am having.

It's still a federal crime.

@AstralSmoke So. So far no one has been arrested here and other places it has been made legal. States do have certain rights and the federal law has been debated and not found a threat.

@JackPedigo and I hope it stays that way!

Truly ahead of his time. 🙂

I was not aware of that statement. Makes me admire him even more. Thanks.

I don't partake of cannabis. However, it needs to be decriminalized. Alcohol is many times more dangerous. Put a stoned person and a drunk person in the same room together and you will see a big difference.

The drunk will probably start a fight with the stoned person.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:62331
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.