Agnostic.com

28 11

Militant Atheists?

I am going to post on a rather sensitive topic: What do you all think of someone who is as militant about their atheistic beliefs as fundies are about Xtianity? I've been a bit upset lately by a friend who has zero tolerance for other peoples' beliefs. I say live and let live, unless they are very conservative. QAnon, or Bible-thumpers. As an organist, I play hymns for a tiny rural congregation of Episcopalians. I am an agnostic, and they are liberal, but have different beliefs than I do. I don't hang around after I play. They pay me. I give most of the money either to my disabled son or the ACLU. My friend is livid that I continue to play there, as I am comfortably retired, and he doesn't think I need the money. I don't think it's any of his business, and that he's being an intrusive busy body. BTW, I am by far not the only agnostic or atheist organist. There are many. The organ is a cool instrument, and most are located in churches. What, if you were me, would you say to my friend?

Organist1 8 Sep 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments (26 - 28)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I agree with you. What harm is it doing to him. Is he afraid you might get sucked into the congregation?

He is very rigid and controlling. He thinks it's morally repugnant to "support" religion by playing the organ. I'm alarmed by all of this.

@Organist1 And he's a friend? Seems very one sided to me. Sorry, just venting. A couple that have been very close for over 10 years have, with the virus, showed their true colors and it feels like a divorce. I want nothing to do with them and wonder why I didn't see the little warning signs all along. I know this pandemic has broken up families and friends.

@JackPedigo Unfortunately, friendships last until one goes past the line the other will not go. Most of the time in normal settings the lines can get foggy as they have little actual substance. Once the substance of a person is known then the truth of that person comes out. I learned a long time ago that if someone wants to control me, then we are done. If someone wants to dictate to me the rules I will live by, then we are done. There are many people out there that we could be casual friends with, but that does not mean we could survive a week on an island without food or water and only out wits to help us survive.

Seems like the degree of militancy is unrelated to theist/atheist views. Sounds like your “friend” needs to chill. Or, you need to redefine “friend”…

I've been pretty much live and let live. When approached by religious persons who try to spread their beliefs, I just tell them I have no interest in organized religion. If they persist, then I will say things which may undermine their beliefs, but at that point where they refuse to leave me alone they deserve it.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:623845
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.