Agnostic.com

4 12

How to replace a zipper pull and slider.

On this Mountain Hardware down jacket, the down was treated to keep its loft even when wet. New technology. Love this jacket. It fits in a small stuff bag. I use it for winter hiking and snowshoeing.

But the zipper pull came off the last time I zipped it up. No worries. Previously, I replaced the zipper slider and pull on seven jackets for friends and myself.

You will need someone with a sewing machine to do the top-stitching on jackets. You will also need a seam ripper to free the top end of the zipper tape.

Be careful removing the stop so you don't damage the zipper fabric. Plastic stops are hard to remove because they are machine-stamped in place.

I use a small wire cutter. Carefully cut the top of the plastic stop in half. Then it's easy to wiggle out the plastic claws.

Make sure the new slider zips up from the bottom. Check the model number on the back of the old slider. From Amazon, I order the standard size for women's jackets. (YKK 5CN)

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Seems stress just drifts away when there's a song in your heart.

Such a talented young lady…

@Canndue

Thank you. I enjoy problem-solving. A great satisfaction.

Zippers are against me ! However, I am glad you posted this. Just 2 days ago the zipper on a really good pair of Lee jeans failed . I'm going to try and fix this

twill Level 7 Sep 22, 2021

@twill

On jeans, it's difficult to free the top end of the zipper fabric.

Good luck.

Cool

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 22, 2021
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:623877
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.