Agnostic.com

1 2

Just saw the new movie, The Eyes Of Tammy Faye, and I haven't laughed that much at a movie in quite a while. Needless to say, the movie was not very flattering to either of the Bakkers, but it was fairly sympathetic to Tammy Faye, at least as a human being. What made it even funnier to me and my atheist friend, who watched it with me in the theater. was the reaction, or lack of it, by the rest of the crowd in the theater, which was almost full. They were pretty much old folks, my age or usually older. I could tell by the look of them before the movie started, that they were probably all Christians who actually followed the Bakkers back in their glory days, and were somehow expecting a movie that flattered and glorified them, but were probably taken aback by the film's appropriate portrayal of them as deluded nutcases who had extreme problems of their own, yet were held up as leaders and role models in their heyday.

My friend and I sat in the back row, and we were the only ones laughing, the rest seemed stunned. As we filed out, one woman said to me, "How could you think that was funny?", to which I said, "I'm an Agnostic, and back when the Bakkers were on TV, I thought they were a joke then and I still see them that way in this movie. I never was impressed with them in any positive way, unlike you." She gave me a mean stare and I laughed back at her.

TomMcGiverin 8 Sep 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Good for you. They keep getting taken in but keep going back to the same well.

Yup, you can't fix stupid. They refuse to believe that prayer and following the orders of their leaders will fail to pay off for them. No difference whether it's Trump or some televangelist, it's the same kind of delusion and the same kind of con.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:624758
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.