Agnostic.com

7 11

How to get rid of fruit flies without squashing them.

After buying fruit at the farmer's market, I've been at war with fruit flies.

When I hold the vacuum tube three or four inches away from a fruit fly, it's fun to watch the fruit fly tumbling backwards into the vacuum tube.

Can you imagine how it feels? "Aiieee!!!" Fruit flies: Zero. Me: Winner.

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just experienced that with a Tuscany Cantaloupe. Took days to eradicate them all. Will keep this in mind.

Time flies like the wind and fruit flies like bananas.

Very creative.

I have a friend who has an electronic fly swatter. It looks like a small tennis racket. It takes batteries. You hold the button and wave it, and the bugs get incinerated. It's very satisfying.

Sounds like fun with those nasty little buggers.
I spent lots of good dollars on commercially made traps for house flies and they were about as effective as they were expensive.
Then I decided to experiment, I cut the neck and shoulder off of a 1 litre plastic Soda bottle, inverted it, put it back into the rest of the bottle, stapled it in place, punched two small holes just below the joint, added a piece of wire (you can use string also) to make a loop for hanging it up.
Then I thought about what might attract the flies best.
First I tried ready prepared dog food with added water, about 2 cups full, not all that successful over a 3 month period.
Next came raw meat, the HOT water, about 80-90 success rate, lots of those huge female flies drowned.
Then it hit me while I was cooking some cabbage on evening, cook cabbage and the flies come running like Bible-Bashers to Sunday Sermons.
So, in went some raw cabbage, the usual 2-3 cups of hot water and for 'dessert' (LOL) a small piece of raw beef sausage.
It's only the first month of Spring here at present but my home-made fly exterminator traps are working overtime eliminating EVERY female fly that comes along and finds the aroma of cabbage and rotting beef sausage irresistible.
I know it sounds cruel but I even derive a little pleasure as I sit and hear the buzzing of a fly as it vainly tries to find its way back out of the trap but eventually tires and falls into the mucky, smelly water below, to drown and join its friends and relatives as they become more and more Fly bait.

Have to try that

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 27, 2021

I'm going to try that!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:624921
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.