Agnostic.com

2 1

LINK If You Spank Your Kids, You're a Horrible Parent - YouTube

Preachers who talk about how important it is to spank (beat) you kids.

snytiger6 9 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Touchy topic. I was spanked as a child (more like slapped in the mouth as a preteen/teen for calling out my mother's hypocrisy. Anyway, I remember discussing with my brother when our children were toddlers, "to spank or not spank". We both were Christians at the time and I admitted that I didn't have it in me to spank my child (or anyone else's). But just like your average Christian, I interpreted the bible verse "spare the rod, spoil the child" to support MY position. I explained that the proverbial rod can also be used for guiding/redirecting, not strictly for striking/hitting the child. I only have one child so I'm no expert, but it was important for me to teach/show my son how to solve problems without violence/abuse of any kind. It calls for a lot of patience, effective communication skills, self-restraint and keeping one's ego in check. To my knowledge, my ex-husband never spanked our son either, but he would use harsh language. Strangely enough, my son who is now almost 18, thinks back over his life and remembers times where he says I should have spanked him. Imagine that!

Last I checked there's no problem with occasional mild and appropriate physical punishment, but yes, the "spare the rod, spoil the child" crap is just that, crap. In fact it really annoys me when people claim "My parents whipped me regularly with a belt and I turned out OK!" Um, if you turned out OK, you wouldn't think being physically abused as a child was something to brag about.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:625292
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.