Agnostic.com

5 20

Today's steep hike to high spires. Meanwhile...

"Don't sit beneath the rock spires," Karen said as we sat down for lunch. "You could get hit by falling rocks."

She was right. The spires were created by a huge landslide. I looked at the jumble of fallen rocks around us and scooted away.

We hiked over six miles with nearly two thousand feet of elevation gain. A beautiful Fall day.

Decided not to hike with Charlie. Nobody wants to be around a negative person.

Meanwhile, I need to gain weight for winter snowshoeing. During the pandemic, I lost five pounds. Have the insulating capacity of a grasshopper.

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I remember some hikes with the Mountaineers. Some of those hikes were like this one, with a lot of elevation gain. They were listed as 'scrambles' so those of us less hardy souls would be forewarned. Still, I miss the hikes in nature. Here, it's mostly on paved roads and solo.

@JackPedigo

"Don't slog in the bog; get high on the ridges" has been my hiking motto since age 21.

I love steep hikes for spectacular mountain views.

@LiterateHiker And you are lucky to get them. I still remember a hard scramble where we finally got to the top to be completely covered by clouds. No view of anything. Another fairly easy but long hike was at the Kendall Katwalk range. We had snow on the trail up but clear skies at the top. This was 2002 with a couple of friends. My late partner is leading the 2nd picture.

@JackPedigo

Great photos.

That's why I don't like hiking in rainy Western Washington.

What's the point of killing yourself hiking to a high alpine ridge and you can't see squat in the clouds, rain and mist?

@LiterateHiker I would be open (and when we had those two friends we did) to hiking in central and Eastern WA. But being alone it is not an option. Also, having no ankle joint on one foot makes steep hikes downhill difficult. We often hiked 6-8 miles and it was no problem.

I found those five pounds.

Beautiful pictures. Good luck finding a hiking partner.

@xeloview

I will rejoin the women's hiking group from the Unitarian Fellowship.

Well done

Nice pics as usual. If you do not gain weight just try not to lose any more. 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:625741
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.