Agnostic.com

0 2

LINK Wilma Mankiller's descendants remember Cherokee Nation's 1st woman chief : NPR

Her last name, for one — adopted by her ancestor that refers to a traditional Cherokee military rank — has invited all sorts of misinterpretations.

"I'm fairly soft-spoken and people, sort of, have an image of what a woman named Mankiller would be like, and I don't think that I really fit their image," she told Fresh Air in 1993.

Mankiller led the Oklahoma tribe from 1985 to 1995, during which time she's credited with dramatically growing the Cherokee Nation's tribal enrollment and employment, and revolutionizing the tribe's programs for health, children and housing. She died after a battle with pancreatic cancer in 2010, leaving behind a legacy of community-oriented policies that have served as a model for other tribal nations.
Remembering First Female Chief Of Cherokee Nation
Obituaries
Remembering First Female Chief Of Cherokee Nation

She'll make history once again, next year, posthumously, when the U.S. plans to start minting quarters featuring Mankiller.

snytiger6 9 Oct 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:627394